New Red Sea system - "Reefer"

Choff

Wise move adding a reef ready tank for those that want to pick their own return pump, skimmer and lights.

I wish they would have kept the CTC overflow with ato tank underneath. Love that design. It will also be interesting to see how much the riptides influence tank design. Center overflows are less desirable for that pump, people are going to start going back to corner overflows.

reefer gladness

What I see is a rimless aquarium drilled and plumbed herbie style with a center overflow and a berlin style sump. Pretty standard stuff really. The 'silent down-flow regulated system with emergency overflow' looks and functions exactly like the 'herbie' style plumbing on my own tank so that's what I'll call it.

I wonder what market they're going after, I mean once the tank is no longer 'plug and play' and requires the owner to do research on items like the lighting, skimmer and return pumps how many of those same people will just buy a drilled rimless tank? I'm thinking the 'advanced hobbyists' that buys this one probably just likes the dimensions and the cabinet.

I'd like a coast to coast overflow also but I think the jury is still out on those riptide gyres. What I've observed from the riptide videos shows a very choppy water movement spitting water above the surface, a lot bubbles in the display and unwanted vortexes. The design isn't revolutionary at all, it's a squirrel cage blower in water.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
They look like pretty awesome tanks and a good intermediate step for those confident enough to decide on equipment but not confident enough with the whole tank building and designing stages :) Very nice looking package for a tank, cabinet and sump that's pre-built! I agree in that they should have stuck with CTC overflow designs though. The one problem I do see though is the size of the RO chamber, it's tiny!! My tank is 250L total volume so the same as the 250 model and I go through 25L of RO top-off in a week, even throughout winter!! The top off size for the 250 model is only 8L... that's going to be burnt through in a couple of days!

Choff

What I see is a rimless aquarium drilled and plumbed herbie style with a center overflow and a berlin style sump. Pretty standard stuff really. The 'silent down-flow regulated system with emergency overflow' looks and functions exactly like the 'herbie' style plumbing on my own tank so that's what I'll call it.

I wonder what market they're going after, I mean once the tank is no longer 'plug and play' and requires the owner to do research on items like the lighting, skimmer and return pumps how many of those same people will just buy a drilled rimless tank? I'm thinking the 'advanced hobbyists' that buys this one probably just likes the dimensions and the cabinet.

I'd like a coast to coast overflow also but I think the jury is still out on those riptide gyres. What I've observed from the riptide videos shows a very choppy water movement spitting water above the surface, a lot bubbles in the display and unwanted vortexes. The design isn't revolutionary at all, it's a squirrel cage blower in water.

Jury is not out for me. I love it and I see none of what you are talking about. I ran mine vertical and horizontal very very close to the surface without issues.