New purple queen anthias let's see what I can do

Talon33

I just got a purple queen anthias, I know these fish can be very hard to get eat, so here is a background, the fish has been at lfs for 4 to 5 weeks, has never been seen eating but is not skinny so may be eating some, but they weren't trying frozen. So I got this guy in hopes I can get him eating and for 30 bucks he is worth trying. He is going into a ten gallon by himself for awhile until he goes in my 125. Does anyone have any advice to keep these guys, I got a mandarin eating frozen and flakes so I'm hoping I can get this guy eating

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
One thing I will add which you may already know... They need to feed quite a few times a day. If you are successful in getting him to eat,you may want to keep that in mind. Good luck!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Good luck with your efforts, keep us posted on your progress to get him to eat.
How about a picture? Love to see more of your mandarin also.
Do you have a reef chronicle to follow? You can link it to your name if so.
Just click on "UserCP" at the top RIGHT corner...then on the left side click on "edit profile" then scroll down to the last user insert box and copy the link to it. I'd love to follow your mandarin updates. I want to get one eventually. :D

ohiojeff

when I managed the fish store, the owners would send stuff home with me that wouldn't eat. in the calm, stabile environment of my tank I was often able to save them. built up quite a collection that way. I could never afford an emperor or blue ribbon eel otherwise, but they were beloved for many years. if he has a chance, I believe his best chance is at home where it is calm and quiet. good luck.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The picture on FB is one of a Purple Pseudochromis (Dottyback) not an Anthias. You might want to change that Mayja. Not sure if responders will read or just look at the picture :ponder2:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Oh my! Well, LiveAquaria gave me the wrong image! I'll fix that ASAP! Thank you!

Edit: Corrected!!

Last edited:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
There was a post on FB saying he used Prime flake food soaked in garlic.

Talon33

Thanks for all the response! I'm not sure how to post pictures if someone could enlighten me. But I agree I figure it will do best here where I can tend more to its needs, but here's how it's going so far, it is in the tank, kinda just sitting on the bottom behind some rock, seems to be doing fairly ok, I threw in a powerhead to really get the waters churning, but only running it during the day because its so loud, hob at night, but I took some frozen plankton cube and slightly shaved some off and added, no real response but just added to the tank so that's expected. Temp is 79 and like I said its a ten gallon tank but will go into my 125 if in successful. As far as my mandarin he likes hiding as soon as I get to the tank but he is starting to feed somewhat boldly on prepared foods with rest on fish

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for all the response! I'm not sure how to post pictures if someone could enlighten me. But I agree I figure it will do best here where I can tend more to its needs, but here's how it's going so far, it is in the tank, kinda just sitting on the bottom behind some rock, seems to be doing fairly ok, I threw in a powerhead to really get the waters churning, but only running it during the day because its so loud, hob at night, but I took some frozen plankton cube and slightly shaved some off and added, no real response but just added to the tank so that's expected. Temp is 79 and like I said its a ten gallon tank but will go into my 125 if in successful. As far as my mandarin he likes hiding as soon as I get to the tank but he is starting to feed somewhat boldly on prepared foods with rest on fish

I'm sure the Anthias needs time to acclimate to the new place, HOPE HOPE HOPE :fingerx: he starts eating for you and does well. The promise of a home in your 125 sounds great!
There's another thread on here with an amazing video of a Mandarin eating pellets....couldn't find the link to re-post it but it sure makes me have hope that SOMEDAY, I will put one in my tank. Right now (until I get a sump/refugium) it's only a distant dream.
Lots of memebers use Photobucket to host/post pictures.
It's FREE and simple to use. http://photobucket.com/
It's in app form on my iPad & iPhone ....it's FUN to share pictures :D

jkef2010

I just had two of these I got rid of because they would not eat. I did get them to eat baby brine near the end. I hooked a hatchery to the tank and the other fish would eat them fast so I moved them to QT and let them eat that way was only eating small amount's Good luck

Talon33

Well an update to everyone, anthias has been in tank for about 30 hours, not really going so good, she has been sitting on the bottom kinda hiding the whole time, she has picked a high flow zone to sit that's for sure. She has been breathing through mouth pretty heavily, I have fed about 4 times since been in the tank, nothing yet but I'm feeding it very fine in hopes that maybe some will go in her mouth and may get some nutrition, not sure if this fish will pull through. If it comes down to it she may have to go back so I can get some money back even though I'd like to try my best and see it through

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Was hoping for a much better outcome but this fish is listed as one of the most difficult fish to get acclimated and to survive the QT process. You might try lights out for the rest of the time you try, I read that they like low lights.

Elizabeth94

I did some research and found that some people are using live "Arcti Pods" to feed them. I also read that putting them in a group with other anthias could encourage them to eat more. Not sure if that is an option or if the fish is too freaked out to be moved with others.

Talon33

Yeah I only saw this fish out at the lfs store like twice out of the many times I was out there, checked lfs and they so not have any of those pods, as far as schooling this is what in doing to do, I'll give her a week by herself to get acclimated if she is going too, anymore stress right now may do her in but after a week ill add maybe 2 lyretails

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
With a fish like this, your display tank is your best bet. Your ten gallon qt is probably too new and uncomfortable for the anthias. She will most likely not eat due to her housing and then starve. If she looks healthy, I think your best bet is to toss her in the DT unless you don't want to risk the intro of a disease.

I know we always say to qt but I don't think this type of fish will make it in a 10g. DT her or find someone with a bigger qt and a food source she will accept. Live is probably they way to get along with phyto.

These are beautiful but tough to keep fish

Talon33

Ok I think I may add her tomorrow then, I'm just afraid my two tangs and flame will terrorize her

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Add her at night. Odds are they will go after her so you have to watch. Anthias in general are tough!