New Informative Post

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
So I have a little time on my hands at the moment and would love to do some reef/aquarium related writing :) Is there anything anyone would like to hear or read about, I'd love to do some serious research and info gathering!
I'm happy for any topic, whether it be equipment, fish, coral, care or anything else that takes your fancy. Let me know and hopefully I can get something nice written up :)

Naj117

So I have a little time on my hands at the moment and would love to do some reef/aquarium related writing :) Is there anything anyone would like to hear or read about, I'd love to do some serious research and info gathering!
I'm happy for any topic, whether it be equipment, fish, coral, care or anything else that takes your fancy. Let me know and hopefully I can get something nice written up :)

Hello me old mate, how are you?

You are a nutter mate but the help u provide I'm sure everyone here is very thankful me being top of the list!

Ok so I believe my tank is coming this week so if u we're going to get a 650 what would you do with it, how would u set everything up I.e. Would you use egg crates etc?

Any additional purchases? Anything stock that should be changed? How should I move everything over from my 250 and when? What micron filter socks should I purchase and where do these go? Mate I'm gonna end up doing your head in I hope u know what you've got yourself into lol!!!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hello me old mate, how are you?

You are a nutter mate but the help u provide I'm sure everyone here is very thankful me being top of the list!

Ok so I believe my tank is coming this week so if u we're going to get a 650 what would you do with it, how would u set everything up I.e. Would you use egg crates etc?

Any additional purchases? Anything stock that should be changed? How should I move everything over from my 250 and when? What micron filter socks should I purchase and where do these go? Mate I'm gonna end up doing your head in I hope u know what you've got yourself into lol!!!

I'm excellent thank you :D
Awesome mate, you must be so excited!!!
I would happily write that up in terms of everything and hopefully there'll be a few other members who have done similar things pipe in fotr that but do my head in as much as you want :p :yup:

Naj117

I'm excellent thank you :D
Awesome mate, you must be so excited!!!
I would happily write that up in terms of everything and hopefully there'll be a few other members who have done similar things pipe in fotr that but do my head in as much as you want :p :yup:

It's a tricky time as my wife is due to pop anytime now also!!!

ziggy

I would like to know once and for all if hermit crabs are good CUC or not THAT ARE REEF FRIENDLY.
I read they are good, I read they will pester other hermits, I read they will pick on coral.

Bottom line... should hermit crabs be included in a CUC list for a new tank if there is no specific problem you are trying to cure?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I would like to know once and for all if hermit crabs are good CUC or not THAT ARE REEF FRIENDLY.
I read they are good, I read they will pester other hermits, I read they will pick on coral.

Bottom line... should hermit crabs be included in a CUC list for a new tank if there is no specific problem you are trying to cure?

I'll definitely do a write up on that for you :)

Danreef

As you I have read all that too.

My experience: I have a Mix 14G biocube and a Full SPS 12G tank with blue legs and red legs hermit crabs (many !!!) and NEVER had an issue with them.

If you want I can send you pictures of both tanks so you can see they are fully loaded with corals and they live in harmony with all my hermit crabs.

Oxylebius

I think I will need to set-up a dosing regime sometime this year, sps are sucking up minerals and I don't want to do more then once a week water changes....I've been putting off the research on set-up, what to dose, amounts, and equipment needed until after March. But if you willing to pull info together, step by step from beginning to end and what to look out for, that would be super helpful. One thing I dislike about online forums is that the info tends to be piece-meal, I really like to have the whole picture, A to Z understanding before I dive into an upgrade like this. So, I tend to spend months on research, searching for lessons learned, etc. But, again if you willing to share what you know, that would be super helpful.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'd enjoy doing that one so I'll shall do my best to write up as much on dosing as I can :) Hopefully I'll get A to Z in for you too!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Also, do you want me to explain each different type of dosing in detail too? As in 2-part, reactors, 3-part, balling and all of that? Or just run through them all and focus on a particular one?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Definitely into it :) I'll enjoy researching it all and being able to use it for the sps in my tank too :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
This is sum up of what I'm thinking about writing up on :) Let me know if there's anything else anyone wants added into the topic!

- Explanation of why and what the corals take out of the water, most people know this but it's good for informations sake.
- Frequently dosed elements.
- Smaller section on lesser dosed elements​
- Dosing substances, what they are and what you can use.
- Dosing methods:
- 1-part, Kalkwasser (reactors and ato dosing included)​
- 2-part, Alk and Ca​
- 3-part, Alk, Ca and Mg​
- Ca reactors​
- Balling method​
- Dosing, Testing and your Tank; the things you should be looking for and testing for them.
- When you think you should begin dosing and what to look for.

Hopefully everyone will enjoy and learn something from this one :)

Oxylebius

As you I have read all that too.
My experience: I have a Mix 14G biocube and a Full SPS 12G tank with blue legs and red legs hermit crabs (many !!!) and NEVER had an issue with them.
If you want I can send you pictures of both tanks so you can see they are fully loaded with corals and they live in harmony with all my hermit crabs.

Ziggy, it depends on the species of hermit crab.
Danreef is correct in that the blue and red legged hermits are fairly reef safe. These two species are gonna give you little issue.

All hermit crabs are scavengers, which means that they will graze on algae, detritus, and even fish pop. Some species like the red and blue hermits prefer to eat algae and so as long as you have enough algae for them to graze, they won't cause you any problems. If for some reason you have too many cuc and thus lacking in algae for them to eat, hermits and other crabs may turn to more meaty foods so that they don't starve. But, this is usually not the norm with the red and blue hermits. I've had several species of hermits and crabs. If you are looking for hermits, best to stick to the blue and red legged ones. They stay nice and small and won't cause much harm, if any. I also recommend you buy additional shells for them. This will prevent them from eyeing your snails for their shells.

You will find some reefers completely against hermits and crabs, they usually have a story associated with it, but keeping some species of hermits over others, making sure there is plenty of algae (doesn't hurt to supplement w/dried algae every two weeks), and having extra shells for them goes a long way to making sure that you don't have any issues. Then they can be a good part of your cuc.

I hope this is helpful.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Slightly more updated version of what I'm writing before I start to actually write it :)

- Corals & The Elements:

- Frequently Dosed Elements:
- Calcium​
- Alkalinity​
- Magnesium​

- Less Frequently Dosed Elements:
- Potassium​
- Iodine​
- Iron​
- Bromine​
- Strontium​

- When To Dose:
- What are the signs that your tank needs to be dosed​

- Dosing Substances:
- Store Bought​
- Homemade​
- Reactors​

- Dosing Methods:
- 2-part, Alk and Ca​
- Kalkwasser (reactors, dosing and ato dosing)​
- Ca reactors​
- Balling method​

- Dosing, Testing & Your Tank:
- The things you should be looking for, testing them and what to do​

Oxylebius

I'm very interested is seeing more!

And the very last section you list would also be helpful beyond just dosing, as it is about time to add more sand to my tank and every time I've added sand the alkalinity goes a little off and I have to take time to get the alkalinity, calcium, and pH back in balance.....

Thanks!

Oxylebius

Slightly more updated version of what I'm writing before I start to actually write it :)

- Corals & The Elements:

- Frequently Dosed Elements:
- Calcium​
- Alkalinity​
- Magnesium​

- Less Frequently Dosed Elements:
- Potassium​
- Iodine​
- Iron​
- Bromine​
- Strontium​

- When To Dose:
- What are the signs that your tank needs to be dosed​

- Dosing Substances:
- Store Bought​
- Homemade​
- Reactors​

- Dosing Methods:
- 2-part, Alk and Ca​
- Kalkwasser (reactors, dosing and ato dosing)​
- Ca reactors​
- Balling method​

- Dosing, Testing & Your Tank:
- The things you should be looking for, testing them and what to do​

:poke: Wrangy
Are you still planning on writing this up? :eek:lsmile:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
:poke: Wrangy
Are you still planning on writing this up? :eek:lsmile:

Haha yes, yes I am! I've been crazy busy over the last month or so with work, uni and some family issues so I haven't had the chance but I was actually thinking about it the other day and hopefully over the next week or two I'll have a chance to finish it :D it's coming though, I promise lol