New Hanna Calcium Test Kit review

jpsika08

I just made this review within my thread but I wanted to share it with everyone on RS in case you're searching for info on it:

Here goes:

The kit comes similar to the other Hanna Checker test kits,
1. 2 Vials test tubes with a 10Ml mark.
2. Unit for testing (Of course)
3. 2 Syringes, 1 one white used for pulling reagent A and 1 Green used to pull Sample water from the tank.
4. 25 Reagent B power bags
5. 25 Kits Reagent A liquid (Similar to the Alk test)
6. A pretty cheap Dropper
7. Instructions
8. AAA Battery for Test Kit

2011-08-03183844.jpg

2011-08-03184258.jpg

Well here is basically the steps you have to follow to get the results (If you own the Hanna Alk Kit you can compare number of steps between these):
1. Pull with white syringe 1ML of Reagent A and drop in Test Vial
2. Using Deionized water (From RODI Unit) fill the vial to the 10ML mark
3. Then you have to invert the vial 3 - 5 times and clean the surface from any debris or fingerprints.
4. Turn on test kit and when C1 Appears with the PRess word blinking, insert Vial close kit and push button
5. After C2 Appears, remove the vial from the test kit, open cap
6. With the Green Syringe (And here comes the tricky part), Pull 0.1ML of Sample Water (Tank).
7. Pour water in the vial
8. Pour Reagent B powder in the vial
9. Shake Vigorously for 15 seconds and then place the vial on a flat surface and wait another 15 seconds for all bubbles within the vial dissipate.
10. Insert the test tube and press button
11. Read the Results.

2011-08-03185302.jpg

Some Conclusions:

It takes around three minutes to do this, I still don't fully trust the results, I have done it three times with different numbers at the end, the part of dosing tank water is a hassle as you need to be very precise to pour just 0.1 ML of tank water.

Though, the kit is well made as the rest of Hanna products, I know I have probably made an error during testing and this is the cause of different results.

With this kit you don't have a time limit in between stages, even when you place back the Vial at the C2 stage, just push the button once (Instead of holding it as the Phosphate test) and the results come up within 5 seconds.

What is important with this one is to rinse the test vial after the test pretty quickly as it can stain the glass.

Wished Hanna would include better quality Syringes, a 10ML syringe instead of the cheap dropper and maybe a little funnel as dropping powder in the vial is kinda difficult.
With the rest I think it's easier and cleaner than my API kit, and faster I may add.

Please feel free to comment or ask, hope that when someone gets this kit too he/she can comment on it here so we can all share experiences and tips.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Great job Juan :thumbup:

Thank you so much for doing this thread. I can see where you would get frustrated with those droppers. I agree that it would be better to replace that with a syringe.

I'm not to happy about the powder either. It reminds me of the old days when you had to get all the regent powder in in-order to have an accurate result. Hopefully this is not that sensitive.

What is the price range of this new tester?

I made this thread a sticky. :)

jpsika08

Frankie sorry for not responding earlier, the cost is around $50 and brings 25 tests.

After some uses and problems during this period, these are some recommendatioms for anyone interested in the checker,
1. Distilled Lab grade water is needed.
2. It's important to rinse the test tube with this water (1.), prior to test.
3. It's better to use the syringe tips for more precise drops.
4. For tank water sample, fill the syringe up to 1ml and drop the 0,1 ml (until level gets to 0,9ml).
5. Clean the test tube within stages so it's clear of finger prints or other debris.
6. Shake the test tube well on second phase, after pouring tank water sample and powder, this for 15 seconds and then be sure that all microbubbles disipate within it before reintroducing the test tube into the colormeter.

I would say it's worth it, there are more steps involved in comparison to the alk test.
I will get the Salifert test kit and compare, I did against my API kit and results have been similar.

If any more info required just shoot.

surff

The powder is a nuisance. From my lab days, I used this method.
Take a small piece of paper (a 3 x 3 Post It is perfect).
Fold it in half and crease.
Open it so you have a V.
Open the regent powder and pour the contents onto the bottom of the V you created with the Post It.

Now, when asked to add the regent, place the bottom edge of the V over the vial and tap gently. The powder will slide right off.

Smoker

I tried the Hanna Calcium recently and it was all over the place then got real high even hitting 600 which I think is as high as it goes. The kits seem to be hit or miss according to many reviews I read. I returned it.

My API measures calcium the best. I had a near empty tank with Instant Ocean salt water which is 400 and that's what I got every time from API. Salifert was at 440 and Red Sea at 430. They always varied by a lot and weren't consistent. I'm not an API fan but with an expired set and a new one both measured the same.

Hanna Alkalinity is easy to use and seems accurate.

Blue Space

I rather like my hanna calcium checker. Once you get used to the steps and become more efficient it becomes a snap. As long as you follow the instructions it should be pretty close unless you have a defective unit...

Sure, it's not as easy as the alk or phos tests but I find it to be accurate enough for my use. Once in a while I'll compare using api but it's always been close.

Here's the best way I've seen to open and dispense the contents into the collection vial:

Use scissors to cut down both sides of the packet

Bend both sides back and out of the way

Fashion one side into a sharp angle

Pour in the contents

Hope this helps!

Blue Space

Here's another tip: Remove the little plastic ring under the cap so you don't spill your bottle of reagent! Lots of people have posted how they went to pick up the bottle grasping that ring. The bottle will fall through the ring, emptying its contents, leaving you with nothing but expletives. :tantrum:

Big Pete

Hi Guys

i have to say for what its worth as someone who has this kit i have used it a few times and referred back to my Salifert kit, i find it unreliable not because its a bad kit its down to user error when you dose the 0.1 ml.

on the whole the Hanna Checkers are very good, i use the PH meter and the Alk with no issues.

Cheers

Big Pete