New Frag Tank!

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I'm in a DIY mood!

I'm thinking of building a frag grow-out tank out of Plexi.

My thoughts are one of these sizes but I'm unsure as to which one so I'm open to suggestions please:

72"L x 12"H x 16"W = 59 gallons

72"L x 12"H x 18"W = 67 gallons

72"L x 14"H x 16"W = 69 gallons

72"L x 14"H x 18"W = 78 gallons

I have other questions seeing as I've never ran a "frag tank" before however, I'd like some input from those in the know on size suggestions and layout please.

Mike Johnson

Why six feet? Are you going in the business? If I had to choose I'd pick #2. My frag tank is 24"x24"x12" with a 250 watt MH 16" over the water because it covers 2 sq.ft.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Why six feet? Are you going in the business? If I had to choose I'd pick #2. My frag tank is 24"x24"x12" with a 250 watt MH 16" over the water because it covers 2 sq.ft.

I guess it doesn't have to be 6' but it's going on a 125g iron stand that is 6' long. Also I'll have 4 AI SOL's that no one seems to be interested in so I figure what the heck?

DaveK

Before you build a tank out of acrylic plastic, first price the stuff. It's very expensive. Also be sure you have the skill and equipment to cut it and/or glue it up.

You might do a lot better getting two 40 gal breeder tanks or 30 gal tanks new, especially at one of those Petco $1 per gallon sales.

kyle4201

Bear,, I think you know what your doing enough to get this dont and do it how you want it. Your equipment is MORE than enough to cut and glue the material (still want your saw set up!!! ). 6 feet is awesome and especially if you already have the stand 4 it. Since you are only going 12 inches high (so prob 10 inches or less of water) you will be able to go with a thinner plastic and that will keep the cost down, especially if you go with a thin bottom with a hard wood or something like that backing/support of some kind. You can get this done cheap and easy. Cant wait to see the final product, and if you are going into the business good luck,, maybe ill get some from ya. :) The only thing I think you will need to research is the flow rate/speed, filtration method and feeding to get the best colors and growth. I have a few friends I can hook you up with that own frag business that will give you better info than I.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
It may just be easier for me to use the 40b as the frag tank and I think I may have another 20L that I could use as the sump.

So if I plan on just using the tank as a frag tank with maybe one or two small fish in it, do we think I need any more filtration than a protein skimmer? Do I need filter socks at all on a frag tank?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I ran my original frag tank with no mechanical filtration at all for a couple of years. It only had a single fish in it (with a clean up crew) so bioload was low but I had a HOB fuge and a koralia NANO in it for circulation (it was only 10g).

DaveK

...So if I plan on just using the tank as a frag tank with maybe one or two small fish in it, do we think I need any more filtration than a protein skimmer? Do I need filter socks at all on a frag tank?

As for the skimmer and/or filter socks, depending upon the corals you are growing out, and the light bio-load, you may want to run the skimmer or filter sock only part time. In other words, all that fine particulate matter, plus what you might feed the corals can be food. You might want to have circulation pumps on all the time, but turn off the filter sock skimmer fo many hours while you feed, and then turn them back on.

I would want a place to be able to use a filter sock or other mechanical filtration. You might not need it all the time, but once and awhile you may need to use mechanical filtration.