New 75g 48" long setup - need opinions

Val

I ordered a tank/stand yesterday, it's 75g. I was planning a 30g sump/fuge but with the space in this stand will probably go bigger. I like the setup on this page Marc's Super Sump

My question is when choosing a pump, heater and skimmer. Do I use total water amount or display tank amount?

I'm still deciding between an Aqua C Remora and a Reef Octopus skimmer. Any opinions between the two or another suggestion?

I still have to decide on the overflow, but am leaning toward the overflow in one corner and the return in the other corner. Still considering drilling the back of the tank or using a vaccum method. Minimum of two Koralia powerheads.

I plan on starting with soft corals at first. For fish I'm considering a pair of clowns, a couple of wrasses maybe one tang. I was thinking about a double islands rock setup using figi rock.

I know there is alot more to plan but I'd like to get the filtering system figured out first. If you have a suggestion I'd love to hear it. thanks!

Myrten

very much a beginner myself (still gettign equipment and cycling my first tank and all) but i went with AquaC for the skimmer just because of how many good reviews i have read her and on many sites... the double island idea for rocks sounds cool too!

Val

thanks Myrten! The reviews here and on other sites about the Aqua C are impressive. I've heard good things about the Octopus too. There are so many decisions to make when planning a tank. Keeps your head spinning that's for sure.

meco65

I just bought a 40 Gal cube and got it setup with the Aqua C and it has already started pulling out stuff. Looks good so far.

Val

Thanks, Do you mind if I ask how noisy it is? That seems to be a big complaint from what I have read. Does it quieter after it's broken in?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
The technology Remoras use (spray injection) is pretty noisy as skimmers go.

I have an SWC skimmer - an Extreme 160 cone, and it is practically silent. This is on my 90. I will be getting a second one for an 80 I am putting together.

If you have a sump, definitely get an in-sump skimmer. They are an order of magnitude better than a hang on skimmer like a Remora. Reef Octo is reputuble brand. They have revamped the line since I owned one, so I can't give any personal experience with them. I do like SWC skimmers right now. A lot of bang for the buck.

I would also drill the tank. I drilled my 90 in the back and installed a kit from Glass-Holes.com, and will be drilling my 80 too. This is my fourth or fifth GH kit - great company, great service, better product. I should say I have been in the hobby a while, and have had factory plumbed tanks, external overflow boxes; pretty much done it everyway except a coast to coast. The glass holes boxes are as quiet as method I have seen, and take up very little room in the tank. I would not do hang on overflow. They are just a PITA. If you can drill or have someone who can drill, I would do that. Another plus about drilling out the back is that you can access the plumbing easily.

HTH. We do require pics around here BTW :D

Val

I certainly prefer a quiet skimmer, this will be in the dining/living area. I'll check out I'll check out the skimmer you mentioned I agree with going with a sump model instead of HOB.

The plumbing I'm working with my husband on that and considering the flow needed in the DT I can see how the location of the plumbing isn't as critical as in a FW tank that doesn't have the flow. So that gives us more leeway in the planning.

thanks! you have brought up some things for me to think about. When we start the system I will post pics.

r2d2

Hi, I have a very similar setup, 75g tank with 20g sump. I have an AquaC Urchin Pro, remora's sump version.
Skimmer performs very good but its too noisy. I'm overall happy with it but maybe I'll give a chance to a Reef Octopus.
Greetings

Val

Thanks Arturo, the noise factor rules out the Aqua c for me. When you are checking out reef octo's you may want to check out the skimmer Clownfish recommended. I've been reading some pretty good things about it too. Sounds like you can get a better skimmer for your money with them.