New 3XL 900...refugium OR roll mat???????

Syawn

Going to be turning on the aquarium in January 2022 and was wondering what experienced reefers prefer. Should I go with a refugium or roll mat filtration?

Syawn

It is a 240 gallon total system with a sump and room for a refugium if wanted. Saltwater. ROI water. Ill be using dry rock. Plan to cycle for at least a month (maybe longer) before adding livestock. Hoping for success with corals...zoanthids, polyps, mushrooms. Seems the roller typo of filtration would ease the maintenance a little. But maybe a refugium is a healthier option for the tank?

DaveK

Interesting question. Personally I'd skip the roll mat filtration entirely. It's expensive and strictly mechanical filtration. If your system is typical, you likely have a loarge powerful skimmer on the system and this will take care of just about all your fine particulate matter in the water, even if your not using filter sockes or other mechanical filtration. For now save your money on this one, and consider that you can always add it larter if you feel it's going to do something for you.

As for a refugium, they can be a great addition, but I'd skip this also for now. Leave space for it, and an easy way to plumb it in later. Get the tank going and see what your water parameters and conditions are, and then add equipment as you see you need it. You may find that you'll be better off adding a calcium reactor, or algae scrubbing, or a controller or any other gear.

On thing I have found over the years is that once you get past having good filtration and good lighting, the rest is more or less optional and can be added over time, as you need it. Also, each addition piece of equipment while it does make an improvement, you'll find the improvements tend to get very incremental. In other words, it's better but not that much better. So save your money till you really need it.

Blue Space

I strongly agree with Dave. Better to wait for now...

Why buy equipment this early in the game if not currently needed? First implement a good skimmer on the new system and get used to its operation and maintenance needs. As the tank matures and you slowly add more livestock, you can test your water param's and then reevaluate your tank's needs.

Concentrate your efforts towards streamlining your water change regimen and testing your water's parameters. I highly recommend the Hanna Checker for Alkalinity and Phosphates. However, I prefer the Salifert test kits for Ca, Mg, and Nitrates. That's much more important. How good you get at those two things will determine your future success in the hobby.