NeptuneSystem's Apex Aquacontroller Failure

Blue Space

Well, the wife and I are really bummed out. Over the past weekend my wife was out of town on business and I was down at Lake of the Ozarks with some of my old friends. My wife headed home early (out of sheer luck) due to finishing up ahead of schedule. When she arrived home she was greeted by a dark and motionless tank. She called me immediately and I could tell by the sound of her voice that something was terribly wrong. She notified me that all the pumps, lights, heater, etc. were off and that the Apex display was dark as well. She also informed me of the passing of our first and favorite fish. Cora, a beautiful onyx percula clownfish and Fred, one of two paired purple firefish (Fred & Ethel). Fred's mate, Ethel, and our bangaii cardinal fish, Jasper, survived due to the fact that my wife returned home in time to unplug all the equipment from the tank controller and back into the power strip we'd used before our Apex purchase. At this time the issue is believed to have occurred because the Apex unit failed, shutting off all power to the life sustaining equipment. After unplugging the Apex and powering it back on all I get is a dark display unit and no connection to the built in web server.

I was very upset to say the least. Especially, because only months earlier I'd convinced her that the hard-earned money we spent on a tank controller was like taking out an insurance policy against issues that "could" come up while away from home. Before this tragic event I had no problems with the Apex. It performed dutifully all of the day-to-day scheduled equipment operation and monitoring. I even had it set to send alerts in case of such problems and received test messages I sent during the initial setup. Unfortunately, I received no such alerts when it really mattered and the end result was the very thing I tried my best to protect against. I'll be contacting NeptuneSystems to get a replacement at my earliest convenience. My wife and I laid Cora and Fred to rest in our vegetable garden upon my return.

RIP Cora & Fred! :waa:
RIPCoraandEthel.jpg

fsamir

I am sorry for your loss. I think the lesson learned is to always keep redundant equipment, at least one pump connected straight to the power source. I tend to keep a backup heater set to 24C, as well.
It could have been a lot worse. I lost two full tanks in the last ten years, for not having a controller.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
That sucks man..... :(. I wonder if the "fallback" option would have helped you here.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
If the controller loses connection with the energy bars they will remain in the position they were shut off at unless u set fallback settings to do otherwise.. I am curious as to why the energy bar lost power.. is the fuse blown?... is this an apex light?......sorry for your losses... :(

yankieman

Thats to bad something like that happened , we all hate to lose any of our pets , good luck with all the rest,,,

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Really sorry buddy. Sometimes technology is our friend yet good ol simple sometimes is still my favorite.

Did u figure out what the cause of failure was?

.............stay thirsty my friend.

TylerHaworth

Very sorry to hear about your losses, I loved my Apex and it served me very well... Hopefully Neptune will work with your defective unit!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Aw that sucks big ones! Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope you get it worked out.

tnwillia

Sorry for your loss. With all the weather we have been having I'm wondering if you lost your Apex to a power surge or lightening strike. Even if it didn't hit your power line lightening can ride in on your Internet cable a work it's way thru your system. I hope Neptune works with you on solving this. Good luck!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I keep my return pump and lights plugged into a wall outlet..... Afraid of situations like this. Sorry buddy

Blue Space

I'm not exactly sure why the energy bar didn't fail back to on either (as it is designed to) because I did configure pumps to fallback to ON. It's baffling...? The first thing I instructed my wife to do is to unplug it from the wall and plug it back in. Everything came on as it was supposed to but I did not trust it since there was nothing on the display unit and the web interface was down leaving no controllability. So I put everything back onto the surge strip. I'm no expert when it comes to the Apex, but to me it seems like something in the logic failed effectively turning everything off. Before she unplugged the EB1 she told me that the Apex display was repeatedly flashing dark/dim blank screen to a totally dark screen over, and over. The display acts the same after restarting the Apex but everything turned on.

Thank you all very much for the kind words. I realize sometimes technology fails so I can accept that -and I'm sure the great service of NeptuneSystems will take care of my controller, but the hardest thing to bare is that I miss my beautiful little friends who always greeted me with such excitement (they were ALWAYS hungry for Rod's and mysis!!! :D ). With only four fish, a 50% loss is devastating and has totally changed the personality of the tank. Now, only Jasper (bangaii) swims around and greets me. Since Ethel (dartfish) lost her mate she spends most of the time in her cave instead of out in the open dancing with Fred. She only comes out to feed. Maybe she's mourning...? I'll give her some time and possibly remove her to a QT for a while so that when I get another one I can re-introduce them to the tank at the same time after moving the rocks around. Not sure if I can ID another male but Fred seemed to have a darker color down the his back. I'll need to research that.

I miss my adorable clown, Cora, so much. She was my wife's favorite and added the most personality to the tank, always happily snuggling into and tending her anemones. She would come rushing over to the front of the DT when approached by people. She loved the attention and recognized everyone was a possible source of food. :D Anyone who came to see her would ask to feed her. I think she developed her Jedi-like mind trick ability as a youngling and she never failed to put a smile on the face of those who came to see her, young or old. She was a little less than a year old and I had been waiting to order a possible mate for her from Woodstock. Now she'll never get to experience "clownfish-love"... :( Even so, I'm now glad that I waited as losing two clowns would be that much more difficult.

I have to re-think my strategy on this all-in-one tank because there is NO redundancy built in. Being that it's a nano, there's no room for a second return pump. I will probably run my vortech directly to another power source since I can control it independently. It will agitate the surface and enable gas exchange even if the return pump fails. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier... what a dumbass! :D :Lesson I Learn:

Last edited:

steved13

PREMIUM
The battery backup for the vortech might be a good idea for you. Anytime there is no power the battery takes over. If you're using an MP10 it would last for quite awhile.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah you have like 72 hours on a BBU with an mp10. I need to get another one myself to hook my lights up to!

Blue Space

Nope, the house didn't lose power that we know of... no flashing clocks, no adverse weather here in Omaha. Just HOT like the rest of you in the mid-west. At least I don't have to worry 'bout any forest fires.

You're right Steve, the Vortech battery backup would give me the redundancy I need. Guess I'll just convene a meeting with the Boss to propose another tank expenditure. Don't worry. She's a good boss. For now my strategy on that plan would require a taxation on the chocolate dish sitting on our coffee table in the living room. Somewhere in the neighborhood of .99 cents/per chocolate... along with slight cut backs for other household backed programs such as broccoli and feta cheese. I just hope she doesn't set up a tent and make an "Occupy Hershey-Street" sign in retaliation for these austerity measures. :D

Blue Space

Update: I got the controller back from Neptune and the diagnosis was a failed base unit and a bad display which resulted from the base unit failure.

I had a feeling it was the logic on the base unit board. ;) The replacement units have arrived and are now configured. After speaking with Paul he said that it was likely a power surge. I explained to him that I have the EB8 plugged into a fused surge protector and a plug-in GFCI outlet. I did notice that the GFCI tripped once while doing a wc (whoops!) :dummy: but I didn't see any odd behavior from the Apex after the incident. Wife keeps hounding me to get a couple new fish but I just haven't made up my mind. Only two fish in the 29 gal tank at this point -firefish, cardinal fish & 3 cleaner shrimp. I want something that is out and lots of personality. hmmm, maybe just get another clown lol! :D Suggestions welcome!