Neon Blue Goby - Ich?

Melanie

I have a new Neon Blue Goby alone in my QT and he has a tiny white spot on him that is not in any photos I've seen of this species.

Is anyone familiar with this? Sorry for the blurry photos. I will keep trying to take more but this was the best out of 20.

I'm not asking for advice on treatment yet! Just perhaps a dianosis. (I have Ash's thread for all the treatment advice I need. ha ha ha.)

So far he has been in the QT since Friday and he is eating well and active during the day. Appears to be in good health other than the one tiny spot which may in fact just be one of his characteristics.

002-2.jpg

0021.jpg

Kirblit

Hard to tell by the picture. Has it been flashing at all, if so that is generally a tell tale sign of ich.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
In case you don't know what flashing is when the fish quickly brushes against the rock work. Trying to scratch the itchy spot. Keep an eye on him. Can you tell if the spot is raised?

lcstorc

Leave him in the qt and observe. I don't think is is normal for that fish but some people sure have spots. Keep an eye on him and make sure he is eating. Then see if he has more or less spots in a day or so.

Melanie

He's not flashing yet, but I'm 99 percent sure now it's ich. I think he caught it on RS from all these ich threads.

On the bright side, it is one of my last fish and it is in a QT already so no chance of infecting the others.

On the downside (besides it being ich infested) I have LR in the QT which is going to make treatment a little more challenging.

I'll keep you guys posted in my chronicle on his progress and the treatment I choose.

Melanie

Oh, I neglected to mention why I'm fairly certain it's ich. He has a ton of white spots now concentrated mostly around his gill area and a few near his tail. His fins are a little frayed as well. Fortunately, he appears to be in good health otherwise and that's a good start for whatever treatment I choose.

Scouter Steve

When you decide how to treat remember to remove the live rock. Don't make the mistake of adding it to your display tank or sump. The rock will harbor spores for the ich.

Melanie

When you decide how to treat remember to remove the live rock. Don't make the mistake of adding it to your display tank or sump. The rock will harbor spores for the ich.

Yeah, this LR will never make it to my DT. It was "crap" looking rock that didn't make the cut for the DT. Since it is only 10 lbs., there is really no money lost if I have to discard it either.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
You don't have to discard it, just cook it. Put it in a bucket of SW and run an airstone for 6-8 weeks. WC's will probably be necessary too! QT's should really be bare bottom with no LR and minimal hiding places like pvc pipes. Just for this reason, it makes treating difficult.

Melanie

You don't have to discard it, just cook it. Put it in a bucket of SW and run an airstone for 6-8 weeks. WC's will probably be necessary too! QT's should really be bare bottom with no LR and minimal hiding places like pvc pipes. Just for this reason, it makes treating difficult.

Very very true. I made an educated decision when I chose to add the LR to the QT knowing that if a problem cropped up, it would limit my treatment options. I weighed the pros and cons and chose to go with bare bottom with LR.