Need some suggestions for new Skimmer

IdahoOrv

Hello peeps,
I used to be on here many years ago but one thing led to another and I got away from the community.
But, now I need some help from the wonderful people in here.
I have an aging in sump protein skimmer that is well for better words...sucks and I don't mean the protein out of the water. It is aging and I would like some suggestions due to the algae in my take is try to either take over the take or put me into a mental institution.
Have a 240gal marine tank, live sand, live rock, soft corals, and fish. And at this point alot of unwanted algae. Please help. Because it seems like ever manufacture out there has the best on the market. But I find that talking with others is the way to go. Please, help if you can.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Welcome back!

Can you tell me a little bit about where you’ll place it, how much footprint room you have as well as height? In sump or out? And most importantly, budget!

Ill wait for that until I make a recommendation but the reef octopus ones are a really good value and the new varios pumps are quiet. I personally run a bubble king 200 and absolutely love it. Sized appropriately (not too far over or under), they will both do a great job

IdahoOrv

The skimmer will be placed in the sump as it is now. Footprint can be with one side somewhere close to a maximum of 8in...I suppose if I had to go wider, than that I could possible modify the internals of my sump. Budget is really not the big issue (put it this way, I have got to do something soon before my wife kicks me and my tank to the curb...OK not that bad but she did mention changing it into a terrarium) so the budget comes down to ease of use and cleaning, keeping peace in the house, and keeping my fish and corals alive and well. To where I can see them and the rocks without all the S**T all over everything. That's what kind of a budget. I could also go with an external skimmer if need be. I have the room to do that in the cabinet I have. Height can be up to 27in if the cup can be removed horizontally and not vertically. The sump I have is 18x 36 but the spot where I have put the skimmer is skinny with the way that Oceanic built it. The MTC skimmer that I have now had a circular base and had to trim a bit of each side to get it into that 8in width. From the skimmers that I have looked at that sound good to me seem to be in the 9+in range. And that is just not a good size for my sump. Unless I modify.

At present, my tank is not near as grand as it once was... have had a couple of crashes and one was most devastating so has taken a bit to get back into it again. I used to be in this forum years back under the name of Orvin Farmer. You can check out some of my posts under that name.. That's from what it was at that time. Plus also see the tank/stand etc. Was very active in here back then...and then life happened. Lol
And reason I don't use that name still is that I could not remember what email address I used back then to sign in...and it wouldn't let me use the one I have now with that name. But, all good. I am here and need the help, don't care about my old posts. That was it before the crashes.
And also want to thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated.

IdahoOrv

Welcome back!

Can you tell me a little bit about where you’ll place it, how much footprint room you have as well as height? In sump or out? And most importantly, budget!

Ill wait for that until I make a recommendation but the reef octopus ones are a really good value and the new varios pumps are quiet. I personally run a bubble king 200 and absolutely love it. Sized appropriately (not too far over or under), they will both do a great job
Did you not get my reply? I have been waiting for you to answer my reply. And nothing. Yes the bubble king would be an awesome skimmer. But it also has an awesome price to it also. I don't mind spending a large sum of money for something great. But, damn! That was or is a bit more than I was thinking. More like less than $750 preferred. Maybe I should say that if I totally got back into my reef as I once did it would be worth it. But just don't see that happening. Spent thousands of dollars just to have it crash and loose virtually everything is devastating to say the least. So going with some corals and some fish. Nothing to extravagant. I lost my sailfin tang a few months back and still don't understand why...other than maybe that was its life span. But seemed to be doing just fine and then dead one day when I went to feed. Had him for over 7 years. Was rather attached to that fish. Was wanting to get the tank back up and running nice and slow and wanting to do some things differently and hoped with removing some of the rocks and cleaning up the tank in general make it more appealing. And then my wife went to the aquatics store and bought a coral beauty and a purple tang. Needless to say I was happy and yet not. I want we d the tank to be in a better place before I bought such wonderful expensive fish.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
How about the

Regal 200SSS 8" Space Saving Protein Skimmer (VarioS) - Reef Octopus.​

If you can fit something in the neighborhood I think it would perform well.

IdahoOrv

I will have to check into this closer. I think I mentioned that I might be able to modify my sump. Not what I really want to do. But if I have too I have too. Dammit. Not your fault, it's Oceanic for making no room in the sump I bought so many years ago. If only I would have known. Plus, a knee that I had operated on a couple of years ago and having to do all the work while on the knees in close quarters in my cabinet that I have my sump in.
I do want to thank you for your help. You are the only one that reached out to me. Greatly appreciated. I might come back at ya if I truly don't think this will work and get your opinions on some others that I feel might work. If I knew the base on this could be modified....slimmed up. I did that with my first skimmer.
Again, thank you!
Orv

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You are more than welcome! I think your challenge here will be the space you have may be small/tight for the skimmer you need for your size tank.

but, the reef octopus family of skimmers is where I think you will land, good value for sure

IdahoOrv

The pics will have to wait until I get this nasty stuff under control. It's just killing me right now. As soon as all of my issues go away. And I sure hope they do with new skimmer. I feel like it is the biggest thing that I am up against right now.
Like I mentioned before, I was part if this group a few years back. And my tank is still the same tank. Just the inhabitants have changed drastically since then. Don't have near what I had back then.
Pictures now do it no justice.
I haven't had a chance to really take a look at how I can make this skimmer (you suggested) work as of yet. But if there is any way possible I will get it to work for me. I will be ordering one soon.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I’d be trying for some 20-30% water changes on a consistent basis to clean things up. Then the skimmer can maintain it

IdahoOrv

I was doing that for awhile but could not get ahead of this nasty stuff. It just has more will power than I do. As soon as I get the new skimmer installed I will be going foe the consistent water changes weekly if at all possible. I am busy with everyday life things that do get in the way. But, with more money going into this tank all the time....I want it back to being the centerpiece of my home that it once was. Doubt I will ever get it back to having as many corals and such as I once had....I had more time then. But I do want it to be more of a focal point in my home. A piece of art so to speak. I love this Hobbie but right now it has me scratching my head. And, when I do get this new skimmer the fun I once had before.....figure out how to make things work when I have never done them before, will happen again. Still have to figure out how to make this larger skimmer work in my sump. It's going to be tricky, to say the least. Modifications are going to happen I can tell already. Have some vacation planed coming up here soon. I know what I will be doing part of that time. Modifications to my tank...again. Next will be to find a replacement filter for my Nu-clear canister filter that I have. That has been a chore also. Think I found one, but have to make sure it is the correct one. Any suggestions for filters that maybe used in conjunction with a charcoal media bag? Or do you suggest not to use that at all. What about UV sterilizers. Seems like all sorts of pros and cons for those.
Thanks again.

IdahoOrv

Not quite sure if I have that many buckets to do 20-30% water changes. That's a lot of water at one time to change. I do more in the lines of 15% or so. I could probably do this weekly...if I only had more time, I could do more. Truthfully, I have too many hobbies, and each one gets in the way of the others. So I try to do some of each. Keeps me busy. And this one is keeping me very busy right now.