Need advice

stravo71

I have a 20 nano reef. I had two fish in there and multiple corals. I'm planning in upgrading once my wife and I move into our new home.( bigger tank amd sump) for chrismas my wife thought it a good idea to get me more fish. Now nitrates outta control 80+. Been doing crazy water changes. Thought about getting rid of fish but don't wanna upset wifey. Was thinking about a reactor to help. Read anout vodka dosing. Then I saw this pura nitralock. What should I do. All other params are great. Corals are doing great so far. Just need some helpful advice.

stravo71

I have a fluval 206 canister ( I know it needs to go. Budget and space right now holding me up). Reef octopus skimmer for a 100+gallon. 25lbs sand and 35lbs live rock. 2 power heads. I use ro water for every wc. Just been doing 2 water changes a week. Just to have nitrates go right back up. I constantly cleaning substrate and clean out filter every other week. Just need to get it under control somewhat till the move. I have the new tank and sump ready to be set up once moved.
Nitrates 0
Am 0
Ph 8.3
Dkh 10
Pho 0-.5
Cal 480
Trates 80+
Too many fish I feed every other day. Clean all frozen food. Just to many fish for the 20. Moving once house is built in a month

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
How many fish do you have and what kind? How much live rock? Odds are your tapping out the system and the problem will remain. You can add some things to help to better handle the load but I'm not sure what your appetite is to add reactors. Seachem matrix helps add bio capacity and the marine pure blocks can assist to.

Give us a little more info.

Btw, water changes are a good thing to do at this point.

stravo71

Running chempure elite two packs of purigen. Container of denitrate matrix bio balls.
Baby yellow tang. Very small
3 clowns that wife just got me
Starry blenny
Valentini. Puffer
Was doing great till she got me clowns. Wish I knew she was doing it or I would have advised against it.

reefle

I dont know when you're moving, but unless it's within a month, you do have to get rid of some fish. I dont like being the tang police, but that yellow is gonna be pretty unhappy. (might be ok for a bit if its one of those 3 feet 20 gallon tanks)

vodka dosing takes a couple weeks to get set up as well. your nitrifying bacteria need time to grow. As Psu4me put it, water changes are your best friend right now.

stravo71

Yea I have been doing crazy water changes. My one friend had a pair of yelloe tangs mate and I got one of the babys a couple weeks ago he is the size of a quarter. I will just keep doing water changes routinely and get a reactor asap. Thanks for the input

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
To be honest with you, you are extremely overstocked on your fish.......probably 3-4 times over stocked. NOTHING will help you correct this problem unless you cut back on those fish. In a 20g tank, you are looking at 3-4 small fish max.

You will continue to have a myriad of problems at that stocking level unless you migrate to a bigger tank immediately. can any of your friends hold some of the fish? A LFS?

stravo71

To be honest with you, you are extremely overstocked on your fish.......probably 3-4 times over stocked. NOTHING will help you correct this problem unless you cut back on those fish. In a 20g tank, you are looking at 3-4 small fish max.

You will continue to have a myriad of problems at that stocking level unless you migrate to a bigger tank immediately. can any of your friends hold some of the fish? A LFS?
Lol. You read my mind. I made a phone call this morning. Taking some of the fish to my friends tank. He has plenty of room. 500g fish only. But its all small fish so mine will fit right in. Once I move I will re acuire them.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Lol. You read my mind. I made a phone call this morning. Taking some of the fish to my friends tank. He has plenty of room. 500g fish only. But its all small fish so mine will fit right in. Once I move I will re acuire them.

Best thing I've heard all day! :thumber:

bullet

I still think maybe over feeding or maybe your ro filters need changing what about your
canister filter are you giving that a good cleaning too also maybe try adding some cheato
to your tank anything to soak up extra nutrients