My Tridacna Maxima not opening now...

zak786

Hi

It was knocked over by a turbo snail about 3 times now and is now not opening much and I am worried about him...

What can I do ?

Thanks

Frankie

RS STAFF
Nothing. It is just pouting if that is all that happened to it.
May I suggest standing it up a bit better maybe between two rocks so it has a chance to settle into it's new home? It takes a few months for a clam to adjust to its environment and become a part of the reef.
I also suggest reading up on your particular clam and learning as much as possible about it.
I also recommend getting rid of turbo snails. They do nothing but destruction in a reef tank. Your much better off with smaller snails that are not as strong and can get into smaller places.

zak786

Thanks for all the advice guys....I think it was more than just pouting... I found it dead with about 5 hermit crabs eating the remains of it this morning... :(((

I was controlling the levels of Calcium, Iodine and Strontium...

I got the turbo snails in for one reason only - to help clear up the pink cotton candy algae that has been plaguing me for about a month now...these snails have caused nothing but destruction in my tank and also not helped with the cotton candy too...

Will give them back to the LFS and try something smaller...

These turbos have also kncked my frogspawn over many times too and he is looking pretty bad too...Why oh why did I get those snails... Should have milliputted everything down....

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I'd say there is something else going on in the tank, I have had quite a few clams and never had a loss due to a fall to the bottom of the tank.

IMHO maxima clams prefer to be on the sand bed.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I'd say there is something else going on in the tank, I have had quite a few clams and never had a loss due to a fall to the bottom of the tank.

Wrong, maxima and crocea clams should be placed on the rock. Most other clams can be kept on the sand bed but these clams need to be on the rock. They like to burrow into the rock and attach to it using it's byssal filaments.
Clams are very sensitive and do not like water parameter changes. Like anemones, you need to have a well established aquarium in order to succeed in keeping them long term.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I never new that about maxima clams, I don't know where I got that info from. I have been learned :)

Wrong, maxima and crocea clams should be placed on the rock. Most other clams can be kept on the sand bed but these clams need to be on the rock. They like to burrow into the rock and attach to it using it's byssal filaments.
Clams are very sensitive and do not like water parameter changes. Like anemones, you need to have a well established aquarium in order to succeed in keeping them long term.

I have one on the way. How high in the tank would you recommend it be placed?

Frankie

RS STAFF
What type of lighting are you running?
Typically I would start off on the bottom of the tank and work my way up over a few weeks time.

zak786

ok I was told by my LFS that its best not to out them on the sand bed directly as they sometimes get attacked by worms...

zak786

Yes it wouldnt attach....wouldnt open....my tank has ben running now for 8 months ... my lighting is all T5