My plan to remodel the aquascape

melvis

Hi all

As my battle with red turf algae is finally beginning to turn the corner and I can now almost see the light (and no, it's not my Steve's LEDs...yet...), I've been putting some more thought into redoing the aquascape as I've never been 100% happy with it from the off.

I've been reading some really interesting articles and viewing some pics on Google and have come up with what I think might be a sensible plan to redo my scape - all of which I should have done over a year ago lol. It's going to require some more thought no doubt, but essentially I'm going to look to do this once the RTA has been beaten back a bit more by my wonderful Tuxedo urchin.

As it currently stands, the plan looks like this:
  1. Fill temporary container with water during weekly WC (approx 20 litres, maybe a tad more)
  2. Place new and spare heater in container and attach MP10
  3. Check salinity and temperature
  4. Place all corals, fish and inverts into temporary storage
  5. Feed fish and corals to help reduce stress levels
  6. Remove smaller pieces of live rock into container of fresh saltwater
  7. Arrange sturdy base at front left of tank, angled diagonally towards back right - removing and drilling as necessary (on a slow speed)
  8. Insert reef rod, just off centre to the left and in the middle of the tank and through back corner of base rock
  9. Determine best locations for remaining pieces of live rock based on suitability, sturdiness and aesthetics
  10. Drill necessary pieces to create height and desired structure (still playing with different ideas)
  11. Use reef putty to seal any gaps in the live rock and add additional stability
  12. Insert (via PVC pipe to reduce disturbance), slightly larger substrate to replenish
  13. Wait for everything to settle over night
  14. Test parameters in the morning to ensure all is as it should be
  15. Refit MP10 to display tank
  16. Begin transferring and glueing corals into place as per plan (still being finalised)
  17. Test parameters following transfer
  18. Begin transferring all fish and inverts over
  19. Test parameters following transfer
  20. Order new corals to fill gaps :)
  21. Sit back and finally enjoy!
All the while I'm doing this I plan to regularly monitor inhabitants and conditions in the 'temporary tank' throughout day and night to ensure all are ok.

Providing everything goes to plan, I hope to have all of the above complete within 2 days. Would welcome any comments, suggestions or warnings as I know this is quite a big undertaking considering the tank has been maturing for a little over a year now.

Cheers

Dracko

Been thinking of doing this myself. I may need to tear my tank apart anyway, and kind of start over. So I might just do some drill and post work to create a nicer looking aquascape that also allows for better water circulation. But as yet it is just in my head. Before and after pix please.

melvis

Cheers guys. My initial thoughts were to finish in a day, but I was concerned about any side effects of using a lot of the putty and obviously wanted any dust to settle and as Pat says, was building in some contingency just in case the unexpected came up. If I start early enough, I should have a whole day clear to power through it.

The container will have a lid Diana, that was definitely a requirement considering my cleaner wrasse and filefish have a tendency to jump at times. Have heard them smacking against the hood lol :duh:

Must say I'm looking forward to getting to sort things out once and for all. Just need to see how the Tux gets on with the RTA over the next couple of weeks or so and I can find a time in the diary to put the plan into action!

DaveK

5. Feed fish and corals to help reduce stress levels
...​

Don't feed while you have everything in a temporary storage. You will add a lot of pollution to the water without much in the way of filtration. This will cause a lot more harm than good.

Any existing live rock must remain wet during this process. If if drys out, you loose the good bacteria on it.

Carefully test for ammonia and nitrite after you complete this. You may see the system cycle.

You may be better off doing this little by little in the main tank over a period of weeks, rather than all at once. It may be less disruptive to the system.​

melvis

Thanks for the advice Dave. I wasn't sure if feeding would be a good idea or not so thought I'd drop it in anyway, but yes, totally makes sense not to.

Plan is to house the live rock in a separate container and I was just going to remove and drill as quickly as possible, but I may look to do this with it still submerged now. Need to think on this one a bit more but I definitely think I'll leave adding to the substrate for a couple of weeks after I've done the above, adding small amounts over a few weeks. I'm hoping this will reduce any potential for a mini cycle.

I did think about doing this over time, but the changes I need to make are probably easier to be done all at once, without the inhabitants present. I may see if my LFS can help house anything for a couple of days, just in case I have any spikes or surprises etc. I'm not planning on this for at least a month (got my LEDs to install first), so plenty of time to change my plans....or my mind! lol Cheers

NickF

I think you mentioned somewhere about using some "fake" live rock, or are you just going with what you have? I've been reading about Aquaroche, you could use this as part of your remodelling and you'd be able to scape this outside the tank, add your best pieces of live rock (with no RTA) and you wouldn't get a spike. Just a thought.

melvis

You're quite right Nick, I've been looking at the Real Reef Rock (plating version) as it seems to look a bit more real than the CaribSea Life Rock (shelf version). I will check out the one you mentioned though, good to have options.

Oh if only Dave! Don't really have the space right now for a bigger one, although if I could I'd be straight down the LFS and placing an order lol!