my new beginings

mnreefman

well its about time i get this started, with us closing on the house on may 13th, its time i start to resurect this tank. lets start with the basics. the tank its self is being made by a local guy, he runs reefmania, greg sheilds is his name, and hes based out of apple valley minnesota. i started talking to him about 2 months ago trying to figure out if i could get my dream tank up n going. i origonally had a 210 aga duel overflow, but the glass tank was just to heavy. i went back to the store and asked if i could return it for store credit, which they graciously did for me... even after 8 months... the tank never saw water so they said sure. i then proceded with greg to build me this tank. ive been askin for pics, but so far no luck...

the dimensions are 72x30x25. figures to be roughly 233 gallons. i wanted more depth than height so i could finally do some decent aquascaping.it has a 36" external overflow with (2) 1 1/2" bulkheads running down to a 55 gallon sump. the back of this tank is drilled with 2 more 1 1/2" bulkheads. one on both sides of this overflow which will be 2 seperate closed loops, powered by sequence darts. for returns i have (10) 3/4" returns placed sparatically on the back and sides. 8 of these are for the 2 closed loops and 2 are for the return from the sump. the return from sump is a mag 15.

the lighting will consist of alot. i want to use my current set up (2) 175w mh in conjuction with my (3) 250w se's... all will be 20k bulbs. in addition i will also be using 2 110w vho 03 super actinics.... (yes i like blue tanks)
my sump area will be lit by 2 55w pcs... i will be useing all xm 20ks for the metal halides.

skimmer!!! now this is the part that scared me, i bought a mrc mr2 skimmer, not know really what it was that i was getting... OMG this thing is huge.. its almost intimidating. ican honnestly say i have owned such a piece of equipment... i dont even know how to hook it up! but andy is gunna send me a new set of instructions...

i will be placing an order of 300 lbs of fiji lr, from yet another local with hook ups. i decided since it was the cheapest and it will eventually be covered in corals, why spend the extra 3$ a lb on the new stuff.... fiji is good. so ill be happy with that

my stocking list is simple..
fish

1 coral beauty
1 yellow watchmans golby
7 lyretail anthias
7 blue green chromis
2 saddle back clowns

coral
lps, lps lps...
blastos
acans
micro's
zoas
scolys
frogspawns
torches
cynairas
favities

encrusting montis as well as plating are going to be my only sps.

heres the kicker for me.
i will have 4 carpet anemones.
i have green and a blue in a holding tankat a neighbors house, and i will be ordering a red and yellow once the tank is mature enough for them.... however i recently saw a purple one and i might have to consider more of these.

i will be startin on the stand in 2 days and ill post pics as they come along...

heres is a poor diagram of the tank
the top is a top pic. the red are the open spots in the top... yes it has euro bracing...
the middle shows the cl and overflow... the light blue is the external overflow. the green are returns and the dark blue are drains for closed loop...
the bottom shos the 2 bulk heads on the sides of the tank...
i know the paintings suck... but im no atrist

Attachments

• tank.jpeg
    tank.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 164

Sharkbait

With a system that large have you considered running 2 skimmers. One "wet" skimming, while the other produces "dry" foam. I did that with my 220 and I've had extremely low nutrients from startup to now. I've never heard of your brand of skimmer, it sounds pretty beefy though. Is it a needle wheel? I'm a skimmer freak I know I have problems, but I can't stop. A friend of mine just got a Deltec, too expensive for my operation, but it is very impressive to look at anyways. Design looks great, patience is all you need now. Sharkbait

mnreefman

started on the stand today.
using 4x4 cedar for all the posts (8 of em) and 2x4 for bracing... hefty project. took more time thjan i though just to get all the 4x4 notched.. of course i was watching logan while jen slept most of the day... anyways pics to come this weekend of the stand

mnreefman

well here is a pic f my skimmer :)
gotta have some sort of pic :)

Attachments

• DSC00231.JPG
    DSC00231.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 152

mnreefman

well finished up with the stand... i didnt slap every thing tofgether quite yet.... but with it weighing in at arund 200 lbs i dont wanna hafta move a solid stand so i kept it seperated then once fri comes and i sign on the house ill set it up...
slowly but surley my 1 yr project is commin together

mnreefman

change of plans on the pumps... after a long hard debate lasting a few days i decided against the sequence darts... why... well to to honest it will be a lps tank... im not looking to get a billion gallons per goping through this tank... i talked with wit and i decided to run dual lg 4mdqx.. same as hes runnin... thanks for the help wit!

mnreefman

just got off the phone with greg from reefmainia.... my tank will be ready for a sat pick up... perfect timing..... just needs to put it all together... i cant wait

Gina

RS STAFF
When you going to find time to set up a tank with that new baby? LOL
J/K you!
Looking forward to the pics! Sounds like it's going to be a sweet set up!

mnreefman

ill make time gina! fri we close and then were prolly gunna spend a good few hrs cleaning up and painting.. sat orn ill go pick up the tank and stand. put the stand together as well as the plumbing... hopefully by wed or thursday ill have some sort of h2o in this beast... greg also said hell emailme some pics in the next to days so hopefully ill have something to show :)

mnreefman

well just got off the phone with greg again... he was just about to put it all together when i called. we had a lil discussion and made a few minor details. insted of 10 returns (3/4") i am going with 6.. also the external will only go down 8 inches so i had put the 2 1 1/2" drains below that.... ... just some minor changes but i think they will better suite my needs :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ya gotta love good customer service!!

How fun!!! New baby, new house, new tank.... whew~~ :bigbounce

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
just got off the phone with greg from reefmainia

Hey I've been following Greg's setup he does great work congrats :)
Your gunna love the 30" of width I have a 30x30 and the scaping options are endless.

mnreefman

robert... i personally get tired of seeing 18-20" depth in tanks it allows for one thing.... a rock pile... with 30" ill be able to do some nice channels running through to the back, plus with the external overflow i have no interferance inside the tank...

rckmtl

mnreefman said:
robert... i personally get tired of seeing 18-20" depth in tanks it allows for one thing.... a rock pile... with 30" ill be able to do some nice channels running through to the back, plus with the external overflow i have no interferance inside the tank...

I agree! After seeing some great tanks with a lot of depth to them, I can't stand a flat look. Plus it seems like the fish act more natural when they can do more than swim back and forth.
Good luck with the aquascaping!

mnreefman

jhnrb said:
super project. waiting for pics
lol me too! actualy ill be picking it up this weekend so there will be pics.. however greg is supposed to email me some as well....

mnreefman

sry folks havent had time to go anything with the tank... painting all weekend... im gunna try to get it up this week sometime... ill keep yall updated