My first post - and may Reef 125 Gal

BEELZEBOB

whoa, thats a really cool tank!

that may be the most impressive softie tank, like, ever. good work, and word up Puerto Rico!

luisgo

Re: My first post - and my Reef 125 Gal

Thanks everybody for your comments. Here is some info about my setup:

Lighting - 2-175 MH 12,000K, 2-160watts URI VHO ActinicWhite
Filtration - AquaC Remora Pro skimmer
Circulation - Litlle Giant 4MDQ pump in closeloop with Current Tower Chiller 1/4hp, 2-Koralias #2, 1-Koralia #1
No sand bed, No sump or any other filter
20% water changes monthly, Seachem ReefBuilder, Kalkwasser and Trace Elements.
Salinity 1.025, temp 79F, Calcium 450, Alk 7dh

Here are some more pics of the tank.

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon

By luisgon

moze229

I can't wait until I have enough room for a tank that size. Way to go on the sumpless, bare bottom method! What are you ever going to do with all of those mushrooms? :) I like how you worked the macro algae into the reef. Colorful tank! Nice job!

Kazzy

Wow!!! Beautiful tank! That is one of the best tanks I've ever seen.
BTW, Welcome to RS!

luisgo

Re: My first post - and my Reef 125 Gal

Thanks for your comments. Vdituri nice try with your spanish. We in Puerto Rico speak spanish but there is a big influence of the english langage.

The mushrooms were just a small rock with four maybe six years back. They spread like powder!!

I started wth this tank in 1990. Many changes resulted from different situations. I started with a wet dry, removed the bioballs many years back, a large protein skimmer and many other gadgets.

In may 2005 I started a construction and I had to move the tank. It runned for six months with only the chiller, pumps, powerheads and the lights, no sump or protein skimmer. It was amazing how well it looked.

It was relocated to the new place in december and I decided only to have the hang on skimmer and no sump. I can say that my tank is better than ever.

Before I started this tank in 1990 I had many tanks prior to that. With sand bed of different deeps, plenums with eggcrate and screens, all that stuf. They stated ok but after several years they started to get dirty and started to have algae problems. My best results were with no sandbed.

One thing that helps my system is the macroalgae. Instead of having algae in the sump I have it in my tank. It keeps the water very clean. You have to watch calcium and alk levels because the algae takes a lot of it from the water.

I know my system is little different to what others are doing but it works for me.

More photos here: