My DI for my ro

hummer41269

Well I went thew about 1k gal rodi water befor I changed the di in it now I'm like only 200 gal and I'm half way ..Why??
42e2d72c2792dcad5d561ae805f0cc42.jpg
this is my in numbers for tds is this bad and how can I make things better my out number is ooo so that's good
should I get more than one d/I not sure what I need

mikecc

Whats that 111? Is that right when you start or like 10 min later? TDS in is measurement for ro water going into DI. Thats all filters and membrane there.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Good question by Mike, also is that the TDS of the water going in, it looks like its set to measure the TDS in?

sirrealism

Not uncommon to have that number as the unit starts. Mine does so I put a bypass in before my DI so I run the system until my preDI comes down under 10 then I switch the valve to go through the DI. I found this to increase the life of my DI by 2 times. When was the last time you changed your prefilter and carbon block. If the number does not come down to 5 or less then you might need a new RO membrane.

hummer41269

its only a month old and the di resin was replaced 12 days a go. and almost 3/4 way wore out already and only had about 200 gal of r/o out of it
yes some times I do see high in # to the ro/di

I do use the RO/DI as a top off in the sump , is this a bad idea ????

DaveK

This sounds like your RO unit is not working correctly or you have it connected to the DI unit incorrectly. Perhaps you mixes up the ro water and the reject water lines? You also may not have the RO membrane filter seated correctly, or it is otherwise being bypassed.

Out of an RO unit you should be getting a TDS reading of about 3 to 10 or so, depending upon the water going in. Out of the DI unit you should get 0 as long as the DI resin has not been used up. If your bypassing the RO unit someway, you are taking in that high TDS water into the DI unit. It will do it's job and reduce that to 0, but it will use up the resin very quickly. This is exactly what your seeing.

To check this out, test the TDS going into the ro unit and coming out. You should see a very high reading going in, and a low one coming out.

Using RO/DI water as top off water is exactly what you want to be doing. Some people do add items like a kalk reactor, but this is optional. Do have it set up so the RO/DI water can't cause a flood or drastically lower SG if there is a leak in the system.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm with Dave, I'd recheck the hoses to make sure it's connected right. What's happening is not normal

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
My filter goes sediment, carbon, chloramines block, to membrane and then di.