Most active Sand swifting goby

jamesC

What would be the best pair of sand swifting gobys. I am looking for medium to large sized pair. When I mean best I mean most active cleaning at sand swifting.

reefer4200

the diamond if by far the BEST as for sifting sand. I believe the warthogs as well are good but most other gobies really dont just sift sand all day like the diamond gobies. You culd also get nassarius snails and or sand sifting starfish. They both work wonders!!

jeffreyKTM

diamond gobies and bullet gobies......the diamonds being better.....but you will only need one unless you have a 200gal or better tank...

Frankie

RS STAFF
I think the Sand stars are better because they don't dump sand all over your rocks and corals:eek:

Witfull

be careful of Nas snails, they are not a true snail, they are a welk and actively hunt food. if you have or are leaning to keeping clams,,,,head my warning on these critters.

reefer4200

witfull i knew u hated crabs but i didnt know snails too!! lol kidding, but i have heard that as well. I never had a problem with them but ???

marine281

I'm with Al on the gold headed sleeper, beware though, they are jumpers!! and do cover everything in sand..

I've got one, plus a sand sifting star and 10 Nassarius smails, who do a great job, but they are strong little suckers, I saw one last night tip over my sun coral trying to find food.

degibson84

diamond gobies are the best. gobies are aggressive toward each other and i wouldn't recommend putting two together unless you have a large tank

Ganrin

Dragon(bullet) goby, Amblygobius phalena, is a very good sifter, but they have a tendency to grab a mouthful of sand and hover over a coral to sift it.
The Valencienna sp gobies, diamond, golden head etc, are also good sifters who stay lower in the tank while sifting (usually).
Hectors and Rainsfords are much smaller gobies that lightly sift, and are not as easy to feed.
Two Spot gobies are smaller gobies that do very poorly in captivity in general.

All sifter gobys are proficient jumpers and must be in a well covered tank, or they will eventually find thier way to the floor. If I were looking for a sifter goby I would look at the Valencienna gobys, particularly the diamond or yellowhead.

My sifter, Valencienna sexguttata
sandsifter.jpg