more flow from overflows

mnreefman

hey guys n gals, is there anyway i can get more flow from a exsisting overflow. the all glass megaflow is rated for 1200 gph. is there anyway i can increase this to 2500? i dont want to drill this tank ( im scared) and i really really want to invest in a oceansmotions system. however with 1200 my idea isnt working... do i bite the bullet and drill it or is there someway i can get this higher..
thanks in advance

DaveK

Besides a closed loop, you could also invest in a second overflow. This would allow you to increase the waterflow.

However, you would also have to consider if this is desirable. The rest of the filtration system would have to be able to handle the additional flow.

I looked at the oceansmotions products, and it does seem to be a great way to deal with waterflow in a system. It does get rid of all the powerheads and such that tend to be in a reef system. OTOH, It's a lot of plumbing to install one, and at $359 for an 8 way system, it is rather expensive. This makes me wonder if cost of the unit might better be spent on something else for your reef.

mps9506

Why not install the OM unit on a closed loop pump?
As far as increasing overflow capacity I would use both holes (3/4" and 1" as drain. Shjould up your capacity a bit more, not sure how much. My buddy runs about 4500-5000gph through his dual megaflow overflows. with all the holes draining to the sump.
He also dremeled out the slots on the overflow., but it appears that may not have been nec.

mnreefman

mps9506 said:
Why not install the OM unit on a closed loop pump?
As far as increasing overflow capacity I would use both holes (3/4" and 1" as drain. Shjould up your capacity a bit more, not sure how much. My buddy runs about 4500-5000gph through his dual megaflow overflows. with all the holes draining to the sump.
He also dremeled out the slots on the overflow., but it appears that may not have been nec.

as far as the cl goes i dont want to drill and mks link is actually perfect i may do that...
is there a way to calculate if i were to use all 4 for drains as to what type of flow i could get?

mps9506

On the link there is one thing I would change...
On the intake tube, instead of using two 90's you need to use a 90 elbow attached to a T then have the bottom outlet of the T go to the pump with a cap on the top outlet of the T. This will allow you to prime the pump so you don't have dry starts.
With it capped of, you shouldn't have to prime it ever again unless you take apart the pipes for some reason.
Hope that makes sense.

mnreefman

mps9506 said:
On the link there is one thing I would change...
On the intake tube, instead of using two 90's you need to use a 90 elbow attached to a T then have the bottom outlet of the T go to the pump with a cap on the top outlet of the T. This will allow you to prime the pump so you don't have dry starts.
With it capped of, you shouldn't have to prime it ever again unless you take apart the pipes for some reason.
Hope that makes sense.
not in the least

mkpaulson

mnreefman, mps9506 is talking about is actually a good idea and I was planning on adding one to my system. if you look in Maxx pic you'll see one at top of his intake pipe, removing the cap in pouring water will prime the pump.
110OM_closed_loop_left-med.JPG
[/IMG]