Votes: 2 40.0%
  • LPS and macro's

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • SPS only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

Who when we talk about mixed tank have macro-algae with their coral. Is it more difficult or easier to maintain.

I'm thinking of the ideal because i'll have tangs and they used to eat the macro's i use to give them from my refugium. So i see it as a pro what would be the cons.

DaveK

Well, I got a lot of macro algae in my tank, but it's not by choice. Most are various types of calupra. I need to weed it all back from time to time, even though I have a tang in the tank.

The big downside it that some macro algaes can quickly over grow corals and similar items you want. You will need to keep after it.

Some of the macro algaes do look really nice.

mr_tap_water

Hi there
Based on my own experience I would stay clear of the most of the Calupra varieties specially the feather and grape type in your main tank,
As said above can grow very quick as it spreads across your tank and does look good for a period of time until it go sexual and then starts to die off causing your tank to go very cloudy for quite a long period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basile

From my refugium i never had an over run by my algae and why is everybody thinks its going to be caulerpa that i'll be using. Their's lots more than those; gracilaria, their's Halimeda , and the caulerpa prolifera never did over run my fuge that's the one i gave my tangs and they loved it. any other concernes beside that?

DaveK

I didn't think you would use calupra/ It just that I seem to have several types of it growing in my tank, and I need to keep after it.

The other algaes you mention are much better choices. Calupra can go into a reproductive state very quickly and in that case a lot of it dies off.

mr_tap_water

From my refugium i never had an over run by my algae and why is everybody thinks its going to be caulerpa that i'll be using. Their's lots more than those; gracilaria, their's Halimeda , and the caulerpa prolifera never did over run my fuge that's the one i gave my tangs and they loved it. any other concernes beside that?
It was just a word of warning good luck on whichever you choose.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk