Mexico did inspire us...

Raf

Our recent trip to Cozumel, Mexico inspired us to do something with the 110 gallon which has been sitting with water in it and nothing else for the past 6 months now.

Many of the reefs around Cozumel have towering columns of rock...it was what inspired us to try something like that in our very tall 110gallon. :)

Some pics of the reefs of Cozumel:
P5140110.jpg

P5140097.jpg

P5140113.jpg

P5140094.jpg

110 Gallon

P6160010.jpg

P6160006.jpg

Next we add snails and hermits and then fish. I think we want to try multiple pygmy angels in this tank along with some fish picked for color mostly.

Hope you like :)

Raf and Diana

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I like the rock work, is it pinned or glued or magically balanced? top left of tank is that a return? how about a close up? Steve

Raf

I like the rock work, is it pinned or glued or magically balanced? top left of tank is that a return? how about a close up? Steve

Thanks,

The rock is all stacked not pinned or glued...part of the reason I let Diana do these things...she has the patience and know how with these things :D

No sump, that is a return from a mech filter. :)

Cougra

I think it's a great job in stacking the rocks but if I were you I would make sure that they are very stable so they can't accidentally fall on fish once you get them. Did you place the piles on top of the sand or on the glass bottom of the tank? If you placed then on top of the sand then you run the risk of having fish dig the foundation out from under them and causing the stack to tumble over.

Don't give up on the idea as it is very nice looking!

Raf

no worries, Diana is the stacking queen, she made sure nothing moves....and yes, they are on glass....

Today the first additions arrived:

3 banners
1 flame angel
1 lemonpeel

oh and snails and hermits

we also changed the lighting...

:)

tank1-1.jpg

ugly shot with flash but shows the fish better:

tank2-1.jpg

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Love the scaping !
How much LR do you have ? Have you noticed any aggression between the Centropyges yet ? Do you plan to add a skimmer or just use the mechanical filter exclusively ?

Raf

Hi,

There is between 50-60lbs of LR, Fiji and Jakarta. The rock looks like its several large pieces but really, ony the bottom base pieces are large, the rest is composed of smaller pieces that only weight a pound or two. IF they would happen to fall for whatever reason, the damage would hopefully be minimal. I may also use marine epoxy on the edges if I find this may be a problem.

The two pygmys were in the store tank together for 2 weeks, so they made great candidates in our view. We actually wanted several dwarf angels...but we will see as adding more down the road may be difficult depending on how long we wait. So so far so good. They occasionally see each other and show their broad sides to eachother, but other than that, they seem to get along.

As for the mech filter, sorry, should have been more specific. The tank has a HOB skimmer, several MJ1200's and a XP3 with mostly floss, carbon and rowaphos. The canister gets serviced each week for floss replacement.

Thanks for the kind comments :)