Maroon clownfish tank mates

Annie742

I am setting up a 75 gal tank FOWLR.

I really love the maroon clownfish. I know they are evil LOL. Maybe thats why I like them so much :)
I had one way back before I had to tear down my 90 gal. At the time he was with a lionfish. They were the only 2 in the tank.

What could I keep with him in the 75?
I also like trigger fish, but I'm thinking that a 75 gal would be to small, correct?

I am in no hurry, i'm just pondering

Course if it really came down to it, I could always transfer my 90 gal reef to the 75 :laughroll
The thought has crossed my mine already :)

michael_cb_125

I have my maroon in with a royal gramma, ruby headed fairy wrasse, and blue tang. You can keep them with just about any fish provided you take the right precautions. Make sure to add the Maroon LAST. Also some fish will kill/eat/bully a small maroon clownfish.

blue_eyes53813

The maroon clownfish bullie new fish especially other clowns. If I add a fish after the maroon I make sure it is bigger than the clown. I have had my maroon CF for close to 5 years now and he is pretty good except if one tries to get in/to close to his anemone or If I try to introduce a new clown smaller than him. I have a huge tank with alot of hiding spots too that helps break up the fighting. Without the anemone I think he would be calmer... Nothing to fight over.

lcstorc

Mine doesn't have an anemone but she will certainly put up a fight.
Seriously though she is usually pretty good with any fish that is not another clown. She will go after new fish in the beginning but soon everybody comes to an agreement about who is allowed where in the tank. The only serious agression was when I tried to add another clown and my feeding tongs. For some reason she attacks those all the time.
I would definitely try to add one at the end of your stocking if given a choice. Mine was one of our first fish and we have to be wary anytime we add a new fish.

Annie742

Thanks.
I don't plan on having an anemome in this tank, or coral. Just fish :)

I'm still researching what I can keep with a maroon clown. I know for sure I am getting a maroon clown. Now just to make up my mind what to put with it :) That it will get along with.

michael_cb_125,
so your clown get along ok with your other fish?

What sizes are your tanks that you keep your maroons in?
My tank is only 75 gal and I don't want a war going on in it LOL.

Kazzy

Thanks.
I don't plan on having an anemome in this tank, or coral. Just fish :)

I'm still researching what I can keep with a maroon clown. I know for sure I am getting a maroon clown. Now just to make up my mind what to put with it :) That it will get along with.

michael_cb_125,
so your clown get along ok with your other fish?

What sizes are your tanks that you keep your maroons in?
My tank is only 75 gal and I don't want a war going on in it LOL.
In a 75 gallon FOWLR, there won't be a whole lot of fighting as long as you don't overstock. The smaller triggers would be fine in a tank that size too. My maroon is actually one of the calmer ones. She occasionally snaps at my other fish, but she never goes too far. Even my mandarinfish gets on okay with her. Her mate (an Ocellaris that she mated with because of some very strange gendoural circumstances) is usually the brunt of her stress and unhappiness, but she isn't too hard on him.
P.S.
I keep mine in a 46 gallon bowfront, but she will be relocated to another tank in the future.

michael_cb_125

Although a 75 gallon may be ok for a smaller trigger at first. They would quickly outgrow that size tank. I wanted a blue jaw triiger for my 100 gallon. I did not get one because I did not want a 7 inch long trigger in a 4 foot long tank, in a few years. I like to leave the larger fish for the larger tanks. They may do ok in a smaller tank, but fish have feelings too.LOL

Kazzy

Although a 75 gallon may be ok for a smaller trigger at first. They would quickly outgrow that size tank. I wanted a blue jaw triiger for my 100 gallon. I did not get one because I did not want a 7 inch long trigger in a 4 foot long tank, in a few years. I like to leave the larger fish for the larger tanks. They may do ok in a smaller tank, but fish have feelings too.LOL
Triggers like the Picasso can be kept in tanks as small as 75 gallons, at least so I've been told.
P.S.
Congrats on getting another bluespot!