Maroon Clownfish pairing?

hey guys,
I just got a new GB Maroon clownfish today. i have one previously in my tank so i bought one that is a juvenile(I think) it has a faint gold bar so I think it's a juvenile so it must be a male and my old one is a full Golden bar so it must be female. I have my new one in a see through plastic container and they keep coming at each other im just wondering when should i let it out? im afraid it will get killed.:confused::confused::confused:

tommyboynj

Maroon clowns are extremely aggressive. The fish that has been in your tank a while will harass the newcomer to the point of death. The only time most people have luck keeping 2 is in very large tanks or in a ore mated pair. I have a maroon. The only time I have seen him go nuts was in the LFS when he was house next to another clown in a neighboring tank

ScottB

There is a chance.. there's always a chance. I've got one maroon clown and two ocellaris in the same 65 gal tank. They all get along and have coexisted for 7 months now. Maroon was in there for 2 months before i added the pair of ocellaris and there hasn't been any issue yet.
This isn't very common and I guess I'm pretty lucky. Most would HIGHLY discourage mixing other clowns together, especially a Maroon.

it's now on the opposite side of the tank in an anemone(46 gallon bf) like im just worried it has a couple of nips should i put it back in the container? and when will it submit to the female clownfish?

ScottB

Unfortunately, if it already has nips in its dorsal fin, which is where i'm assuming it was attacked, I think you may not be in for a pleasant surprise tomorrow morning. If they're that aggressive already, it's probably better to re-isolate the new maroon and consider other options. Either that or if you take the risk, you may find a fatally wounded maroon soon. Tough situation. Research research research before buying new fish and coral. Thats what i've learned on this forum. Research before pays off heavily rather than trying to troubleshoot hindsight!

i did my research thats why i went to 5 diff stores to find a juvenile so i didnt have 2 females and i dont no why there killing each other. and is the dorsal fin the top one?

ScottB

yes, dorsal fin is the top one. I didn't mean to insinuate that u blindly went with two maroons, but the first word of caution that is usually surrendered when purchasing maroon clowns is that they're extremely aggressive towards their own and similar species. I really hope that they end up working out together. Maroons are super fun and have great personality. It just raises a flag when they're already fin damage within 3 hours. Good luck and i'm sure if there's any other recommendations, the knowledgable forum-ers will chime in to help!

you didn't insinuate me it's just im stressed there fighting i dont wanna lose 50$ you no. i have him in the plastic container again so he do sent get more damage ill see if they get better and if not i guess i have to bring him back

I'm on my second clarkii. Just fighting is normal. I took the fish out cause he was injured and my puffer started going at him then. It's trial and Error. Leave him in the Container for like a week so then get use to each other. That might help.

I'm on my second clarkii. Just fighting is normal. I took the fish out cause he was injured and my puffer started going at him then. It's trial and Error. Leave him in the Container for like a week so then get use to each other. That might help.

thats exactly what Im gonna do now it's just annoying fish fight.

an update and a question. i let him out of the container today because the female calmed down and was not attacking the container. so the female attacked him alittle bit and the male swam to the corner of the tank. is hiding a normal behavior i thought they would fight and the loser would surrender not hide.