Macna 2013

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I thought I'd add a thread to give updates and a place where all those attending MACNA can share photos and their experiences while here.

First off, the hosting resort, Westin Diplomat, is amazing. I can't imagine a better location to host an aquarium event. Here are a couple of views from my room. I'm sure the others are just as awesome.
null_zps0fe171c2.jpg
null_zps80a9a65b.jpg

I've already run in to Roger, aka yankieman on Reef Sanctuary, just by chance. He and his wife got on the elevator I was on, talk about a 1 in a million chance. I met them both at MACNA last year so I recognized them immediately. I hope to run in to the other members of RS at least once this upcoming weekend.

You could register today, but all the fun stuff begins tomorrow beginning with MASNA (Marine Aquarium Societies of North America) meeting at 8am followed by the opening of the vendors hall and the lectures starting. The first speaker is Tony Vargas on successful reefkeeping. A lot of us are following along with his fantastic build which he has chronicled here on RS. Some other noted speakers on day 1 include Sanjay Joshi who is the premier lighting expert for reef tanks, Mark Callahan (aka Mr. Saltwater Tank) and Scott Fellman to name a few.

As Mayja already stole my thunder in another post, next year's MACNA will be in Denver from Aug. 29-31, 2014. The full 3 day pass is only $89 if you buy it during the next month. What a bargain! If you're thinking about it but you're unsure, go ahead and purchase. Tickets are transferable so you can sell them to someone else if it doesn't pan out. I'm sure there will be familiar faces there. I'm thinking one of our sponsors here might be there, JJ from My Reef to Yours. I'm just speculating but since he's in Pueblo, CO; I'm betting on him attending and maybe even having a booth set up.

That's all for now. I hope the other RS members who are attending help give reports and post here, too. I'll try to post more tomorrow if there is time.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
BigAl07 asked me to post a thread about MACNA 2014 for him *points finger*.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Looks like a paradise view from your room :snshne:
Thanks for starting a tread John! I'd love to see more pictures.
Hope all you LUCKY RS MEMBERS HAVE A GREAT TIME & Learn lots to share with us. :D

Choff

Waiting at the gate.

Good news about next year's MACNA, my sister lives in Denver. No brainer I'll be at that one too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers John !!!

Well done, look forward to all the reports & pics !!!

Beautiful view - we vacation in Lauderdale often & LOVE the area !!!

If you want to do a fun side trip & see how the rich & famous live - 5 million dollar boats & 100 million dollar homes, take a cruise up the New River

Jungle Queen Riverboat
801 Seabreeze Blvd (Route A1A), Fort Lauderdale, FL

kyle4201

I really wish I could hear Tony talk tomorrowbut we're just buying day passes when we get there around 10 o'clock. It would have been nice. DIANA, it's too bad you can't make it I know you would have a blast. and it is paradise down here, they should have it here every year. I do feel fortunate let me just starting out and I'll get to go to one so soon in my reef keeping.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I WISH I WAS THERE TOO!!
Some people have to work tho :(
Colorado just can't compare to a sandy beach anywhere.
They should always hold these meetings close to an ocean beach. :swmfish:

Choff

Flights delayed :(

The Jack is flowing. I think I'll be asleep before the plane leaves the ground

yankieman

OH and John im envious of you have a ocean side room LOL but the coastal waters on the other side isn't to bad ,,,,,

Choff

Checked in.

View of the pools from the 15th floor. Can't wait to see this view of the ocean in the AM

20130830_003658_zps1de8f822.jpg

Choff

Late start, missing tony speaking. To hung over, but at least I woke up to this.

20130830_0916420_zps40a4188f.jpg

Choff

Ok, this is very cool event.

Apex is coming out with a new Web server interface

20130830_0916420_zps40a4188f.jpg

The lighting control is pretty slick

20130830_110816_zpsc2178b1a.jpg

Choff

Oops posted wring pictures for apex

20130830_110654_zpsb4ab596f.jpg

Here is their auto feeder that is coming out

20130830_110734_zps37a30aa0.jpg

Some other random picys

20130830_104806_zps5fced5ec.jpg

20130830_104749_zpseba11057.jpg

Choff

20130830_104439_zps5cda6967.jpg

I'm headed back down by myself now. Wife is going to the beach, I'll take more picts now

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Got the chance to meet Kyle this afternoon and his lovely wife, Lea. Haven't run in to Mike, yet. I have loads of photos but having trouble with the wifi uploading them all to photobucket. Here's a few to start.
First up from Marco Rocks, how's this for aquascaping?
null_zpsb25fe8eb.jpg

Cupcakes from Frag Junky
null_zpsf3c2eb10.jpg

One of the gazillion coral vendor displays, wish I was closer, I'd definitely get some deals
null_zps1633f1af.jpg

This is the big 300g with all the various equipment being raffled on Sunday.
null_zpscd1415be.jpg

The next few are from the Coral Reef Restoration project, same tanks as Choff's photos
null_zpsc031445f.jpg
null_zps3fd83b78.jpg
null_zps954abc68.jpg
null_zps673fc8fc.jpg

More to come later.

jrhaughey

Awesome Pics.. Keep them coming.

You can carry on corals in a cooler on the plane. I did it last year. Plan a little extra time and be courteous to the TSA agent and you will get through.