low salt level correction question. (no pix, lol)

kyle4201

I have a question about having low salt levels in between doing water changes. Do you guys just mix a glass of water from the tank with a bunch of salt and pour it in? Or do you put a little salt in where your return pump goes?I've noticed about a week after my water change is my salt level drops just a little bit probably from my skimmer at least I've been told that. just wondering what the experts do.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
A couple of good ways to raise your salt slowly that I use on the occasion is add some saltwater to your top off water as it replaces the water and adds salt therefore raising your salinity slowly or if you have a sump on your system and can afford to do this, you can overfill the tank with an extra few litres and it means as evaporation in the tank occurs and the water is topped off with fresh water the salt will gradually increase :) I would never add salt directly to your tank as it can cause problems and certain instabilities, even in a small amount I still wouldn't :)
Hopefully that makes sense!

david42

Not an expert. When my salt level drops between water changes, I mix some salt into my top off water. Have really been trying to do the smaller water changes once a week to avoid things getting off.

NualgiAquarium

Usually as water evaporates from an aquarium the salinity in the water should rise. As RODI water is added to the tank, the salinity level is balanced out. If you are noticing a lower salinity between water changes you may be topping off with more water than necessary. If you are adding the right amount of water, you might want to check for a small leak.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

kyle4201

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

umm, thx 4 the welcome Nano,, lollol.

And mixing salt in my top off water is not possible. I have gravity fed ato on both refugiums so I would have to salt my whole 50 gal reservoir. Also, no leaks,, I hear a skimmer will lower salinity.

Mike Johnson

If my salinity is down a little I'll top off with saltwater instead. The skimmer takes saltwater out of your tank, so when you top off with fresh water to make up for the loss it will lower salinity.

slfcaptain

I do what mike does. I just put a little extra saltwater in. As it evaporates the salinity will rise slowly. Since you added extra water the ATO wont have to top off the tank for a while.

steve

kyle4201

Thx guys. I think I will just over fill the tank a little bit in between my water changes. Appreciate the help