HELP! Looking to start a SW reef tank

Sage Jordan

I've been reading up on the material on this site. The tank sets I was looking at at my LFS were either the Biocube 29 or Aqueon LED 29 Aquarium Kit. The biocube is more expensive, can I use the Aqueon kit for a SW reef tank? It comes with
  • 29 glass aquarium
  • low profile LED hood
  • water conditioner
  • submersible preset heater
  • quiet flow power filtration
  • premium fish food
  • fish net
  • thermometer
  • set up and care guide
The BioCube is way more expensive, and only comes with
  • 36 watt True Actinic 03 Blue
  • 36 watt 10,000K Daylight
In addition, I would have to buy:
  • protein skimmer
  • UV sterilizer
  • circulation pump
  • aqua light
  • stand

I like the look of the soft corals, what specific ones would you recommend for me to buy as a beginner? I know this is a long process, and that's why I'm not even really looking at fish yet.

So far, this is my incomplete shopping list. It's a little messy.
Aquarium
Stand
Cover
Light
  • 6hrs/day
Heater
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Mechanical filter
Chemical filter
Skimmer
Quarantine tank
Test kits:
  • Ammonia
  • Nitrate
  • Nitrite
  • pH
Live rock
  • 2lb/gallon
Substrate
  • Sand at 1in
Snails
Fish
Water changes
  • Weekly 10%
  • Every 3 weeks 25%
  • If needed, every other day 80%
  • Replace evaporated water with distilled water

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

When you select a tank, start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

Here one more AIO (all-in-one) for you to look at... a RSM C-130 - not cheap, but hi quality that many have great success with... it has all you need in one package.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_..._Complete_Kits-Red_Sea-RS40010-FIAQCK-vi.html

PS - don't be scared to buy one online, your LFS will still support you & you will still be spending plenty there ;) plus the members of RS, will give you better advise...

DaveK

Welcome to the group.

Before you spend any money, I'll just tell you right out that "complete setups" such as the Aqueon really don't work out too well for a SW reef system. They are geared toward someone that wants a traditional FW community tank. Even for that the equipment is marginal. In a SW reef you would end up replacing most of the major components except for the tank.

The biocube is a bit more oriented toward SW reef systems, even so, it may not be what is best for you.

Consider also that a 29 gal tank is fairly small and you have limited stocking options. Make sure you'll be content with about 3 small fish, a few snails and crabs, and the corals. If you are happy with that, I will say that it's possible to make the tank a real gem.

When making the equipment selection, you should first consider what you want to keep in the tank. Some livestock require larger tanks, or have other special requirements. You don't need to have everything worked out in advance but you should have a good idea of where you want to take the tank.

You mentioned soft corals. I especially like them because they are easy to keep, and are easy to reproduce using cuttings from the corals. You can get a few basic ones, and given time, have the entire tank filled with corals. I'd say the various leather corals, mushrooms, and zoas are your best initial choices.