Lighting Question for 29 Gal

morbius18

I searched and cannot find any specific recommendations. I am adding a 29 gal (standard size) tank to my system. Currently I have a 65 Gal w/ 2x175 10000K MH and 2x 65W Actinic. Attached is a 10 gal refugium and a 30 gallon sump. I was just going to add the 29 gallon to the setup and run on the same water.
What size halide lamp would be sufficient? I was thinking about a 175 Watt, but would a 250 or even 400 be too much?

morbius18

I'm leaning away from HQI bulbs, As I can retrofit any old halide ballast and fixture, but putting a glass UV shield up would be harder than just having a mongul bulb and reflector.

Really it depends what you want to keep, but I would consider looking into a t5/vho mix setup. I run 2 Gieseman 11k bulbs and 2 URI Super actinics and the color is great. Also look for URI now UV's new actinic t5 bulb which is supose to be much better than those already on the market.

billyr98

I like the t5/vho setups also.. Plus you won't have to worry too much with heat... MH on small tanks are tough with heat...

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I tried a 250w DE MH over a 29g... my experience with that was dismal at best.

I would have to agree, either a 150w DE or a T5 setup would be best. I'm not a big fan of SE MH cause they aren't as efficient watt for watt compared to DE. a 4x24w T5HO setup would be pretty nice though.