Lighting help plz

ds69

Ok, so I have the 250 watt mh hamilton pendant heres the link for it. Pendant - Aquarium supplies & Aquarium lighting by Hamilton Technology

I have been using 10k but now im finally deciding to go to 14k. Some of my zoanthids just aren't as colorful as they should be. It would be better to use 14k instead of 20k correct? I know growth wise 14k is better, but will 14k make a big difference over the 10k? Another thing is that I heard the 14k hamilton bulbs are more white and not even that blue. I would like to get a good blue colored bulb but I am not sure on which brand to go with or if it is fine to use with my ballast? Any help would be appreciated. I just don't want to buy a bulb and have it not work with the ballast or be any different.

Thanks
Kevin

10k bulbs r going to be a pure white...the 12k or 14k and high are going to have a blue tint to them the higher the k the more blue the light will become

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Zoanthids do not in general have high lighting requirements so a 14000K or even a 20000K light would not be bad for your zoa's, they will very likely change colors after a light change to a higher K bulb, but they will also require more feeding then with a lower K bulb such as a 6500K or 10000K. The Hamilton light shown probably has a standard M-80 magnetic ballast. If so the ballast will be relatively heavy and will be vented and might possibly even have a fan contained in its enclosure. An electronic ballast will be relatively small and light weight. As of the last time I researched Hamilton lighting, they only sold 175 watt Halide lighting in single ended screw in bulbs, which are available in a full range of K values by many manafacturers. Both Marine Depot and Drs. Foster and Smith both have a full range of bulbs that will work with your lighting reflector and ballast.