Lighting for 55gal

ctiq21

Hi everybody,

I have a 55gal tank and am looking to upgrade my lighting so I can support some corals. I am thinking I would at least want some softies.

Would a CustomSeaLife 4 x 65 work?

This is the lighting that would be in my price range.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

CTIQ21

ScottT1980

Yeah, I would think you would be able to handle most softies and LPS with that lighting. I went with the hellolight retrokit (440W VHO). I don't know if you have looked into the retrokits but they realy save you money if you feel competent enough to build a hood.

HTH

Take er easy
Scott T.

ReefLady

Staff member
Yeah, I'm firmly of the opinion that if you go halide, you should go with 250's in most cases. Just look at the cost of a 175W 10K bulb (about $90) and a 250W 10K bulb (about 60-70).

I was really disappointed with my 175 halide, I went back to PC's and couldn't be happier. But it's a softy tank. If you think you want stoney corals, or will in the future, save ytourself some time and money and just get the halides now.

T

Craig Manoukian

I concur 100% with Travis on this. Wish I would have gone 250 instead of 175 in MHs for the exact same reason. Keep in mind though, I have consistently found 175 watt 10,000k replacement bulbs, Ushio and Hamilton, for right at $60 dollars if you shop around on-line.

:) :D :cool: ;) :smirk: