LFS worker Robert Smythe, RIP

Frankie

RS STAFF
Rob was found dead of a heart attack in his home Saturday June 18th, 2011. By his co-workers I am told.

Rob was a good friend to many aquarists for 30 years here in the Low Country Charleston SC.

His entire life was dedicated to educating and helping those in the aquatic hobby.

He served us at Age Of Aquariums, here in Charleston, and was the first person I came into contact with pertaining to our hobby when I first moved here.
He turned me onto the local reefing club and worked very hard at providing some stuff most LFS cannot get for their customers.

He had a vast amount of knowledge and always had a smiling face when I went to visit him or the store.

During my time here, AOA changed ownership 3 times and Rob never missed a beat in being the head guy during all the hard times his LFS went through. That store was his home.

He made a big impression on me and he will be dearly missed by all he knew.

May the Lord keep you Rob, thanks for all the great conversations!!

Frank

Last edited:

Rhodes19

Frank, thanks for posting this. Rob was the first one I came in contact as well after we settled here. He knew his costumers by name and always greeted them with a smile and a kind word. He was very knowledgeable and shared his knowledge freely with others in order to help them. If you needed something they didn't have, he would get it for you. He was an aquariust that got to work in his hobby. He'll be sorely missed. RIP.

Matty2388

Rob was the greatest, nicest person I've ever met. I've know Rob for 22 years and worked with him for the past 5 years at Age of Aquariums. I bought my first tank from Rob when I was 8 years old. The fish industry in Charleston isnt gonna be the same without Rob. He has taught so many of us about the aquarium/pond world. Rob would always do for others before he would do things for himself. We miss you more than you'll ever know. I'll make sure to post funeral arrangments for Rob service as soon as they are in order.
RIP Rob, we love you!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks Matty and welcome to RS.

I will stop in the store soon to visit. I know this is a heavy time for everyone who was loyal to AOA.
After getting to know Rob over the past 7 years, I have to say the best thing we can do to honor him is to teach others what he has taught us.
He may have moved on from this life, as we all will, but his work will go on for a very long time indeed.

Jpockrus

It's hard to believe he is gone. I am very new to the hobby and met Rob about 2 months ago. I frequented the store as much to chat with him as to become more educated or purchase supplies. It's amazing how in such a short time someone can have such an impact in your life. Rest in peace, Rob. I am truly grateful for meeting such a genuine and kind human being. You will be sorely missed, but never forgotten.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks for joining up to post Jpockrus. And welcome to RS :)

Sorry it had to be in this thread but hey, Rob would be happy knowing you found a good place to look for help now that he cannot do it himself. He always liked to look at the site on the computer when I went to visit him :)