Lets see your favorite tang!

johnlewis

Well this Powder Blue was my favorite but died suddenly a week ago. After a pump change over.

At this time I must go with the purple I would like to add a Sohal or Vlamingii Tang.

Attachments

• Picture 009 Medium Web view.jpg
    Picture 009 Medium Web view.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Picture 008 Medium Web view.jpg
    Picture 008 Medium Web view.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 95

angnak

Well I am not sure which of mine is my favorite so I will post all of them. My favorite tang is the Achilles Tang. My wife read they were one of the most aggressive of the tangs and would not let me get one. :tears: :mad:

73Naso1.jpg

73OS2.jpg

73IMG_4538-med.JPG

Here's my favorite. His blue spots and lips are turning super bright bluea as he matures. He is a Vlamingi tang. As they mature they get real long streamers from their tails like a naso but their coloration is incredible.

Craig Manoukian

Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles) up to 8" a good choice for a 72 gallon tank. Vlamingii Tang (Naso vlamingii) up to 24" would require a 225+ gallon tank at maturity.

Maxx

I dont have any of these, (wont fit in a 58 gallon tank) but some of my favorites in no particular order:

Acanthurus dussumieri

Acdus_u1.jpg

Acanthurus achilles

acanthurus_achilles27129.jpg

Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis

Juvenile

Cthaw_u0.jpg

Adult coloration

Cthaw_u1.jpg

Ctenochaetus tominiensis

Photo By DR B from Reef Frontiers

tommy2.jpg

Finally, Here is a link to a gorgeous fish, I would LOVE to have!!!

Hybrid Achilles Goldrim Tang, (Acathurus leucosternon x Acanthurus nigricans)

All fish to consider when I win the lottery and just build a Bazillion gallon saltwater moat outside my new mansion.
Nick

Craig Manoukian said:
Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles) up to 8" a good choice for a 72 gallon tank. Vlamingii Tang (Naso vlamingii) up to 24" would require a 225+ gallon tank at maturity.

Yep, thats the whole idea. Now I got an excuse to give my wife for the 300 gallon I want to setup next spring.:)

mps9506

Personally I think achilles are better suited for larger tanks at least a 125 or so. My buddies swims a ton, and grazes constantly. They also will appreciate a lot of flow and well aerated tank.

Gina

RS STAFF
Maxx said:
All fish to consider when I win the lottery and just build a Bazillion gallon saltwater moat outside my new mansion.

Hey Maxx,
Can we live in one of the peasant houses on the grounds surrounding the mansion?LOL

Frankie

RS STAFF
love tangs!

Ok, I like this thread! Everyones tangs look great! I have 4 tangs here they are. the big one is a jewel tang. And the new guy is a Lolipop. :jumprope:

Last edited:

Maxx

Frankie,
Gorgeous fish!! I wanna hear more about your set up too!

Gina, nah, no peasant houses near the mansion....lowers the property value. How about I just buy you guys your own mansions?
Nick

AJinNY

To FFrankie,

Dont answer Craig's question about the size of your tank. He is with the tang police and is waiting for you to incriminate yourself. ;)

To all,

I have a yellow tang....I know I cant (or shouldnt) add another yellow tang....like colors and shapes will fight bigtime. BUT, in a large enough tank, would a yellow tang get along with another zebrosoma that ISNT a yellow tang - such as a sailfin tang? Also, a chevron tang is NOT a zebrosoma - would he be ok with a YT or are the shapes a little similar?

Just curious for when I get my dream tank!

Thanks and Happy New Year everyone!

Alan

mps9506

AJ,
In a large enough tank you can keep groups of yellow tangs togther with no problems. Having a tank large enough is the main issue. Some of the most beautiful large tanks will have huge aggregations of yellow tangs, purple tangs, scopas, etc. Sailfins FWIW get quite HUGE. they are a very large fish, I have seen very few full grown sailfins in captivity. Chevron tangs are a great fish, however in my experience probably a bit more docile than most tangs. But all the bristletooth type tangs are great, they stay relatively small don't seem to require huge amounts of swimming room and seem happy to just graze around the aquarium all day.