LED on Aquariums

plecosword

Have you guys heard? I did not find a post here on RS about it so I thought I would create a new, IS IT OVER FOR LED LIGHTING? I am a big fan of LED lighting, and i do not understand the issue why PFO went down along with others, I think we are not allowed to link to other forums so does anyone know more about this?

Jeremy0322

I doubt one company will kill the entire technology. I really havent been keeping to up to date on it but I am sure LED lighting will stick around if one company goes under, it will just open up the door for others to come into the market.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LED isn't gone/Dead at all. PFO is having some "issues" but that's just one company.

There are several threads on here going right now about this very topic that were posted in today. It's a huge "Buzz" in the hobby industry right now. Hopefully they'll come through just fine and maybe even BETTER than before!!

One thing is for sure.... LED is the way of the FUTURE!! :)

reef dummy

The whole economy is failing, not just this company. I would believe that it's awfully hard right now for a high end LED maker to be real successful in this market where everybody is trying to save a buck and not go high end.

DaveK

I doubt LED lighting is over. It may be over for PFO though. It's going to be tough for them to come back after all the apparent problems with their lighting and now a patent lawsuit. It will take years for all the legal stuff to be worked out by the courts. All we can do is watch and hope for the best.

If you want to read about the specifics, a search on PFO here or on "that other famous real big reef site" will yield some results you can check out.

In any case we have to give PFO a lot of credit for being the first company to market an LED lighting system for reef systems. Personally, I liked the concept, but find the lighting simply to expensive to justify itself. It is also the first generation of this type of lighting. Usually the first generation of anything is going to have a few problems to work out, For example, even a dominate company like Microsoft took at least three generations of Windows to get a product that was actually usable. Remember Windows 3.0 and 3.1? There were two releases, at least, before those.

I don't think you are going to see the price of any similar fixture be much less expensive. The cost is in building the LED arrays and that's going to be high. Typically you'd need to use high output LEDs, mount them, power them, and cool them. The elaborate control system PFO uses, isn't that expensive to build, compared to the LED arrays, and you only need one control system per unit.

With all that, I still think LED lighting for reef systems will become the lighting of choice. It's just a question of time.

plecosword

I don't think you are going to see the price of any similar fixture be much less expensive. The cost is in building the LED arrays and that's going to be high. Typically you'd need to use high output LEDs, mount them, power them, and cool them. The elaborate control system PFO uses, isn't that expensive to build, compared to the LED arrays, and you only need one control system per unit.

With all that, I still think LED lighting for reef systems will become the lighting of choice. It's just a question of time.
Thanks I know, its mostly the cooling system that I need to figure out.

Fish Crazy

I've been trying to get ahold of PFO to repair my 72" solaris and no one answers the phone - are they gone - BIg investment for me not sure how to recover

plecosword

I don't care where they get the money as long as they fix my light or give me a refund
oh come on, didn't they have to lay off their entire staff? Thats probably why no one is answering.

Can anyone explain to me the Patent issue that is going on? I do not understand what happened.

l3fty999

Have you guys heard? I did not find a post here on RS about it so I thought I would create a new, IS IT OVER FOR LED LIGHTING? I am a big fan of LED lighting, and i do not understand the issue why PFO went down along with others, I think we are not allowed to link to other forums so does anyone know more about this?

*SIGH* it's kinda looking to me like a Micro$oft versus Linux battle here... you see what I mean? They will continue to try and squash out all of the competition, but like others have said, somebody else will try to fill the marketing niche...:soap: and yes, I am on my soap box here...

Take care
Aaron