Lawnmower Blenney - Evil

Fish Crazy

I have a lawnmower blenney that I had in my 55g FOWLR and I had to move him to my 29g tank because when I put a pair of blue jaw triggers into the 55g he was slamming them in the side. He hit the female so hard over and over before I could get him out that she did not make it. The male Blue Jaw Trigger has marks on his side where he was hit by the blenney. I was wondering if anyone else has had these issues with lawnmower blenney's and how did you handle it.

Jova

That blenny is hardcore! Pretty wild for a toothless algea eater to take out a trigger.. wow... Sorry for your loss though.

There are serial killers in each species of "passive" fish. I had a japanese wrasse that took out 4 fish before I was able to remove him. Pretty crazy that a lawnmower blenny did that, but then I never expected that of my wrasse. Sorry for your loss, it happens sometimes.

really sad to here this i have one and plan to get dragonets when my tank bit more mature, i would be gutted if this happened! i have a goby at the moment and they get along fine! i love my lawnmower!

mps9506

I've seen some somewhat aggressive lawnmower blennies before, I see it more often in other blennies though. I used to have a local species tank with some blennies we collected underneath docks in the intracoastal waterway in NC. Those guys were not afraid of anything as long as they had a shell to swim back into after taking a bite out of anything that swimmed near them.
Then I had a Molly Miller Blenny, that thing was just plain mean and wasn't "scered" of anything.

Octoman

Sorry to hear about your Blue Jaw, that really is a nice looking trigger. :(

My lawnmower has no fear as well. He doesn't ever actively chase and attack other fish, but if anybody is in a spot where he wants to be, he'll just knock them out of the way.

Tru2nr

my lawnmower is real passive then again i added him into the tank the only thing im my tank that poses a small prop is my diadema took a nip outa a firefish

Speaking of diademas, mine has grown so fast. I got one about a month ago as a hitchhiker at no larger than 1". I put it in a tank with some algae problems. Yesterday I saw it and its nearly 2.75" already, wow!! He's going in my 180 soon I guess.

heels92

I have one too...never noticed that trait in him though. I'll watch more to see...but then I never noticed the fact that "Marlin and Coral" take food to the anemone until a couple of days ago.

Maybe its just cause its in an algae overrun tank. Just him, my mandarin, a bunch of growing zoo rocks, and my echino collection in a 33 long.