Kim’s 120 Possibilities

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Try raising the colletion cup all the way to the top & see if the skimmate beconmes drier. Or wait like Scott suggest to see whatit is like after a breakin period

KimPossible

THanks guys, I cannot leave my skimmer unattended. I hooked the new skimmer up on the 23rd and that evening and the next it pulled out 6 gallons of water in roughly about a 5 hr period. I posted a video of the MAD skimming on page 12 or so. On the 25th, I mixed up 20 gallons of SW and was ready to break the puppy in and watched it all day as I replenished the full 20 gallons of freshly made SW. I made more for Sunday and started the process again, but then figured something was very wrong and shut it down. I just did the skimmer in pure saltwater test as was suggested by Aqua C and no skimmate was produced. I'm probably going to follow Sas's suggestion and change out the pump to the MJ 1200, but it really irritates me that I have to do this !

KimPossible

yes I do,,,,, that's a good idea. I'll hook it up that way when I return home.

After the test, I put it back on the tank and within 30minutes I pulled out another quart. Had to shut it off and get to work.

tbittner

You said you were adding phyto to the tank. I know when I feed the corals, any phyto that makes it to the sump, ends up in the skimmer. I can see the water level rise in the collection cup about 10 minutes after I feed the phyto becauses it's now in the sump being sucked out by the skimmer.

There very well could be that much of it in your tank and the skimmer is just pulling it all out.

And I might just be super tired from working all day, shut off from the world by working in a secure environment. I feel like a fish in an aquarium!!! :lol:

KimPossible

You said you were adding phyto to the tank. I know when I feed the corals, any phyto that makes it to the sump, ends up in the skimmer. I can see the water level rise in the collection cup about 10 minutes after I feed the phyto becauses it's now in the sump being sucked out by the skimmer.

There very well could be that much of it in your tank and the skimmer is just pulling it all out.

And I might just be super tired from working all day, shut off from the world by working in a secure environment. I feel like a fish in an aquarium!!! :lol:
Ok, I won't get discouraged just yet, I'll work with the EMMENCE water repleneshes, I was going to allow the drainage to empty back in the tank, but maybe that's not a good idea. I'll dump the crap being pulled and put in fresh SW. Talk about time and energy intensive.... When I get back in town, I'll start this process all over again.

I would think 2 weeks of this- 5 hrs a night and all day on weekends should allow for what ever is causing this craziness to get pulled out of my tank. This is all I'm going to give it. That's a lot of water we're talking about, 128 gallons in 2 weeks.... hopefully it wont go on for that long.

If this doesnt work... the MJ 1200 is going on!

tbittner

Imagine how clean your water will be! :D

How about a 100% water change before you start the skimmer back up? (I'm kidding...)

KimPossible

Imagine how clean your water will be! :D

How about a 100% water change before you start the skimmer back up? (I'm kidding...)
:p

Just keep skimming, just keep skimming.....

I've pulled out 4 gallons so far tonight, so I'm already doing 2 less gallons in the same period.

Dirty, Dirty Girl !

tbittner

Oh man, keep an eye on your Gorg though. They don't fare so well in clean water. At least, that's the theory I've read.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Oh man, keep an eye on your Gorg though. They don't fare so well in clean water. At least, that's the theory I've read.

a recent article by R Shimek states that each polyp on a gorg can hold about 4 to 6 Artemas at a time and in the wild they eat constantly

KimPossible

Yeah I know, I've already noticed a change in texture and in my sea squirts too.
I will continue to add a bit phyto at night when the skimmer is off. i know peeps who add phyto and run skimmers (not at the same time though),

I just wanted to get a little of the gunk out! *sigh*

EagleEyes

Wow!! It looks great! I have always seen pics of gorg's with polyps retracted, NEVER out like in your pictures of it. Now im reconsidering them. (not for the tanks at my work, but for a home setup further down the line). OR as frags.. ooo! dang now im never gonna get to sleep.

EagleEyes

Really? does Kim have another thread for her progress with her tanks? Oh yeah i DID read the date wrong i saw 4-03-09 lol instead of 11 months ago. thanks

sambrinar

Really? does Kim have another thread for her progress with her tanks? Oh yeah i DID read the date wrong i saw 4-03-09 lol instead of 11 months ago. thanks

I haven't seen her on for a long time.. yep I know we're all from AZ there are a few of us on here,, Dianezoo is in Phx too, there are some in Tucson also

EagleEyes

I havent seen anyone from tucson.. actually i have seen one of my lfs' s on here i think but no individual reefers. I havent been on here for a little over a year either. It is good to be back..

sambrinar

i lived in Mesa,,,,does that count? no, guess not,,,but i know the scarcity of reef stuff there

That is an understatement! that is also a reason I shop online! I know there is one place in Tucson, and maybe Sierra Vista, but I have not been to either one.

EagleEyes

Theres a place here called Southwest saltwater, its a small store and they have like three zero edge tanks set up as a show case. they sell corals and inverts from there. Its really awesome. They had a ray of some sort the last time i was in. The other place, which im not too sure about since ive not been there in a year probably, is Majestic Sea Life. They set up and maintain tanks around town but they sell stuff in their store too. I havent done the internet for anything live. Everything else yes. I will most likely buy my LR on the internet when I get around to it this next time. i do like to go to the LFS just to see all the livestock. Since we dont have a public aquarium.. lol

:wit: :scram: We just hyjacked Kim's thread.. just a little bit..:angel4: