killing Innocent tank friends :( (pic)

kyle4201

ive been running filter socks lately cuz I heard they clear the water, which they do!!! I didnt build my fuge 4 them so I have to do a little retro fitting which works out well (pic). however, every time I change 1 I tap it out in the sink to see whats in there and,,, there is always about 10 or 15 pods dying in the sink. Im sure there are many more stuck to the fabric. Im sure there are 1000s in my reef but,,,, I always feel bad 4 killing the little guys. Does any1 else feel bad about casualties that you cant help?
20140305_231834_zps0a335ec9.jpg

kyle4201

Also, dont get me wrong,, im no beading heart!! I LOVE watching apistasia implode from Joes Juice and when I suck up flat worms or bristle worms from my fuge I do a little happy dance!! Its just that they r good guys. Kinda like when you set rat traps but you dont kick stray kittens, ya know!?!?

Steve L

For the few you're losing I wouldn't feel too bad. I took an old wet/dry filter off of my quarantine tank a few months ago and there were dozens of huge pods living in it. I dumped them into the tank and the sediment clouded the heck out of it, but I'm glad I did it. I know there were some I missed but that's just the way it goes.

DSP

I know exactly what ya mean lol now I clean my filter sock every couple days just so the pods don't stay in there to long and die, it does take a little bit to pull them out of the sock though lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

kyle4201

That sock should fit nicely in a piece of 4" pvc

I have to keep the sock below the tank rim for flood safety. Once the sock got full and flowed over the rim, it just so happened it was below the rim,, so If I put a pvc it would hold it way above, not worth the risk. Thx 4 the advice though,, I will deff use your idea my next build. :)

mikecc

you can cut the 4" pvc pipe to any height desired. FYI. A holder made from egg crate is pretty trick also. Just seen that when I was googoling the 4" pipe. What you got looks easy to change tho.

kyle4201

you can cut the 4" pvc pipe to any height desired. FYI. A holder made from egg crate is pretty trick also. Just seen that when I was googoling the 4" pipe. What you got looks easy to change tho.
its SO easy! I just squeeze it, slide it down the chamber, pull it up the pipe and rest it on the baffle with a righr side lean. Every few days the water is overflowing and I know its time to change it. I bought 6 so I put the dirty in a giant zip lock & wash them every 2 weeks with an extra rinse cycle. :)