Kerry's Starter Reef

I have seen the hitchhiker but can't get a great picture of him he is brown with white spots with black claws with a white stripe around looks pretty mean. Any thoughts?? I have got a feeling by the look of him that he needs out ASAP. ??

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Would it be a good idea to take the piece of rock out with the hitchhiker crab in??
If you know which rock the crab is hiding in & it's a rock that can easily be removed. That might be the easiest way to get the crab out....If you have to dip it in fresh RO-Di water or even Coral RX dip, that should make it come out.

Also, if you would like to start a tank journal...
Here's the Reef Chronicle Forum where you can get started:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?forums/reef-chronicles.62/
Right above the Yellow banner at the top click POST NEW THREAD
Pick a thread title unique to your tank :thumbup:

c04c497d108dabd0c9f225acdaab5b6e.jpg

sirrealism

Hmmm. Looks like a good one by the pinchers. But the pic is not perfect. The way I understand it is if the pinchers are flat and not a point then they are a good one. Then again I could be wrong. I am sure someone else who knows crabs more then I will chime in

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
We have a few members who are very good at ID'ing crabs....
If you can wait (since it might be a good guy!)
@Oxylebius or @Mike Johnson ....they can chime in maybe.
:scuba:Pretty Good picture looks like to me anyway :thumber2:

Oxylebius

The photo is a little blurry and I can't get a good look at the claws, but it looks like it may be a RED Mithrax (Mithrax forceps). Similar to the emerald crabs.

@Mayja has one here and I think that @Mike Johnson has a black one as well. Good cuc for those who like crabs in their tanks. I for one are for crabs. Some folks don't like to have any.

Does the tips of the claws come to a point or are the tips cupped (suction cup-like)? This is very useful to help to ID it. Look at the tips of this photo for comparison.

Ok, i have added a few corals now and a couple of fish, going along nicely, did have a bit of a worry before adding the fish as the nitrate went through the roof, however we managed to get it down enough to add fish and coral.

Although we seem to have managed to work out how to alter the tests if needed, our LFS never explained anything about the tests when i bought the tank, especially how to alter if anything is wrong. with our nitrate going through the roof we just kept doing a 5% water change and that improved things nicely.

Crab update, we bought a trap, but still have not managed to catch him, the snails are clever enough to get back out of the trap!!

A quick question how often should I clean my protein skimmer ?? I have just put 3 chromis in my tank I have read that you should have 5 is this true ?? I was told that this is a good starter fish.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I clean my protein skimmer once a week when doing my routine WC.
That's as often as it really looks like the neck of it needs cleaning. If the neck looks like it needs cleaning (thick with gunk) then I'd do it more often. It depends on the skimmer really I guess. So, once a week for mine.

I started with a pair of clowns & added 3 green Chromis as my last addition of fish. 5 fish in a new set up tank does NOT sound like a good idea IMO.
IMO, You should have your tank running for at 5 months at the time you introduce fish #5. SLOW is the best way to add fish. Your tank bioload needs to GRADUALLY build up. One fish per month worked well for me. I have only lost one fish in my tanks history. I credit that to listening to others here that recommend to me what I'm passing on to you.

If you would like this thread moved & renamed as you tank journal...I would be happy to move it & rename it for you :dance: just say & pick your title. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
??? renaming a thread here on RS should not have any effect on uploading pics...

Try this... whereever you have a pic "hosted" (like here on RS or Photobucket or where ever) once loaded, just right click on the pic, select Copy Image URL, then click on the picture frame icon in a post & add it there and it will show up.

or add this syntax around the url - 1st bracket removed so you can see IMG]xxxxxxyourURLherexxxxxx[/IMG]

to see the syntax, select More Options button in a post & click on the Wrench icon

Hope this helps - if you get an error leave it... in the post & I will help :dance:

If you want to upload pics to have RS host them - just click on this link
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?media/
then click on the Add Media buton

or here another link that has helped many...
1 way to post pics from photobucket (nanoreefing4fun)