Kenya Tree turning White

My Kenya tree is turning white and looks like it is dying. I think it may have something to do with the water temperature. Our tank has been ranging from about 80 - 86 degrees F during the day. We have been freezing distilled water and adding water to the tank that way. We have also taken some of the salt water our and frozen it.

All other parameters seem to be normal and some of our other corals seem to be doing better with the warmer temperatures. Any suggestions on how to keep the water cooled to about 78* or on how to get our Kenya tree back?

Jeremy

Tru2nr

yeah fans will keep the temp spiking like that iced water will just drop the temp for a short time being and if you get ur temp stable and ur kenya tree hasn't lost all of its color i would try putting it close to the light to see if it starts to regain color

lcstorc

Not sure if this helps but I run my reef rather warm (84) and my kenya trees look just fine. I have certainly seen them unhappy with ph issues though so be sure to check that. Mine didn't change color but it kind of flopped over until I adjusted the ph.

Tru2nr

sorry to hijack but lc u seriously run at 84 with no ill effects it seems if mine creaps above 80 everythings pissed

Is there a special fan that you use or is it just a small fan you can get from walmart? Does it speed evaporation from your tank?

panmanmatt

Any small clip on fan will work. This is the time of year to get them as most stores are pulling summer stuff off the shelves already.

Yes it will definitely increase your evaporation so make sure to keep an eye on that.

lcstorc

sorry to hijack but lc u seriously run at 84 with no ill effects it seems if mine creaps above 80 everythings pissed

Yep. Very little temp swing though which is why I think I get away with it. AC is kept at 76 but between power heads and light that is where it stays. I even run my pumps external to help.
Soon it will be cooler since I just ordered a Solaris and just got a new/bigger AC on the house.
Should run cooler and lower the electric bill.

Tru2nr

thats crazy i mean 1 degree swing n my corals don't like me.......btw a fan will almost dbl to evap of water depending on how high the fan is set....