Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

BEELZEBOB

i have an 18 gallon tank.
its 20" wide, and 10" deep.

im goin to get a T5 fixture.

i was initially into this 6 bulb 108watt one
Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 6X18 Watt, 20 inch
but am wotrried about the lack of 18" bulb options.

so im debating goin with a 96watt 24" fixture w/ 4 bulbs so i can like, have a variety of bulb options.

sooooo if i want down that route, id be between these 2 fixtures
Current Nova Extreme High Output T5 Fixture-24" at Big Al's Online
or
Current USA Nova SunDial T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture

what would you do?

BigJay

In all honesty its such a small tank I think you'll be fine with either one. I personally like the individual reflectors plus its the exact size for your tank but I hate to think I have no bulb choices. Still if it was me I'd go with the pro.

rmlevasseur

Big tough guy mantis-keeping chauvinsist has to come here whining about what fixture to buy for an 18-gallon tank? What a wuss!!!!!!!!!

Heh, couldn't resist Bob. Just don't post that picture of you naked again.

I agree with your analysis that 24" bulbs will be easier to find and offer more options. Either of the latter two fixtures would work great. When confronted with such options, save the money.

lcstorc

I'ld go with the bulb options. The tank is shallow enough that the individual reflectors shouldn't be that important.

ScubaDrew

Hey dude,

The sundial has moon lights, rear vents, and a timer. Any of these appeal to you? Might be worth the extra money.

I think you've got 3 good options picked out - pull the trigger.

Drew

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
None of the above. Get a used unit like I did for my anemone tank and save some $$ :D

Either of the last two options will work really well over that tank. Don't forget to get a small fan to blow that warm air away.

framerguy

OK, I like the fact that the Pro fits your tank but the options stink, if you would be OK with 10K lighting then get the Nova extreme pro. If not, and I like the extra options with the 24" lighting then I like the second one ( Current USA Nova SunDial T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture ) with the individual reflectors, timers and rear fan. It costs more but I think you'd be happier with it.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hey Bob, I have a 36" 4 x t5 light fixture sitting on my 30" tank and it works great. The legs allow the length on mine to be fully adjustable. They can slide back and forth along the light fixture.

goldenmean

That was my first question.
The 24 inch models would have overhang and could you use the mounting feet.
But if you are going to hang it then there is no problem.

So the 20 inch model there are not other types of bulbs available?
Funny that the 20in is the most expensive.

Of the 24 in models both have fans and moonlights but nova extreme only has white moonlights while the Sundial has interchangeable lenses to make the moonlights white or blue. As stated above the Sundial has individual reflectors which for your shallow tank is not necessary .

All that being said I would go with the least expensive one with shipping figured in. The Sundial has free shipping. How much is shipping on the Extreme? Probably 20-30 bucks?

So I vote for the Sundial. It is only going to be $10 or 20 bucks more and you get more bang for your buck. I like my moonlights to be blue.

No 14K or 20k or such??

BEELZEBOB

thats a new issue.

im tryin to find bulbs that will fit either of the 24" fixtures that have a higher kelvin than 10k, really to no avail...

arrgh.

BigJay

All that being said I would go with the least expensive one with shipping figured in. The Sundial has free shipping. How much is shipping on the Extreme? Probably 20-30 bucks?

??

I only paid 16 dollars for a 48" unit shipped.

After I thought about it more the whole great part of having T5 is lighting choices. If you don't mind the perfect fit I'd rather have choices when it comes time to change the bulbs.

BEELZEBOB

I only paid 16 dollars for a 48" unit shipped.

After I thought about it more the whole great part of having T5 is lighting choices. If you don't mind the perfect fit I'd rather have choices when it comes time to change the bulbs.

here in lies a new issue?
anybody know if the make any higher kelvin bulbs (14k-20k) for the 24'' sundial??

BEELZEBOB

this sux.

im so frustrated right now.

no matter what fixture i get, im limited to 10,000 kelvin bulbs.

i dont even know why i try sometimes.

whole reason im trying to upgrade is for a bluer kelvin spectrum.

i swear, if one more person tells me to get a bigger tank.....

BigJay

get a bigger tank.

Seriously if 3 fixtures are hitting the market I'd expect to see bulb choices very soon. The nano market is huge and this obvously what they are catering to.