Jumping fish

nigle

Oi!

I was looking at the post that Jupitor has about his new fish, and he mentioned that one might have already jumped out.

I have had bad luck with wrasses doing the same thing. They always seem as happy as the other fish I have 3 yellow, 6 blue/green chromis, a Powder blue Tang and a lawnmorer blenny.

The blenny loves to eat at the top of the tank and at the spillway at the filters. He [she or it] makes a lot of noise eating , but never tries to jump out, but all the wrasses that I've had have all jumped.

I also had 2 sissor tail blennys that also liked the floor more than the tank.

Are there some fish that just like to go 'exploring' more than others?

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

P.S. 1. Thanks for being here!

P.S. 2. My avatar is of the ZRS Acron. I was trying to make a scaled model of one, after building about a 1/4 of it I realized that it would have to be over 18 feet long, so I started reefing, HA!

n.

ReefLady

Staff member
Oi! There are many fish known to be "jumpers," including but not limited to wrasses, firefish (dartfish), I've heard Royal Grammas can be jumpers, and several others I can't think of at the moment but I'm sure others will chime in.

a good solution to still allow oxygen exchange but keep the jumpers in is "eggcrate", the white plastic light diffusers sold at Home Depot. Easily cut to size, good ventilation, and no jumpers!

Travis

Dennis7

My wrasse found a 1/2" opening from my fuge's pipe going back to the tank and met a untimely death. You will be surprise the tiny holes they can get through. I thought that opening was too small for him to jump out, but found out otherwise.

nigle

Oi!

Travis I never thought of the eggcrate thingy for the top of the tanks.

Good idea!

Tanks

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

SaltyQueen

I have an All-Glass aquarium cover, so it covers the top of my tank completely & also reduces evaporation a LOT!

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
Jawfish are known jumpers as are a whole lot of the gobies. The eggcrate trick will reduce the odds but as Dennis noted, you will be amazed at how small a hole a fish can get through. I used an eggcrate cover after my first jawfish went to the floor. The second one managed to jump even though I had the eggcrate, it just took him longer.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I also have a glass top but have to remove it in the summertime because it gets too hot and I think it also helps with oxygen exchange if you go topless 'no pun intended':D

fidojoe

Fish Addict
A harlequin tusk jumped and hit my leg at the LFS, then I almost stepped on it when I jumped, cause it scared me.:D Luckily I saw it, otherwise it would've been fish squish on the floor. I still can't find a reason for one of my false percs to go missing, but that was 8 months ago, and I inspected thoroughly around the tank and everything, but no sight of it. I think if it did jump, the cat probably got to it before I noticed it missing.

wooddood

the wood dude
barred goby's are jumpers too.ive already lost one and the other jumped out yesterday but wife got him in time.i guess i should cover mine too.

64Ivy

Not to bring anyone down here but I've had fish (both Fairy Wrasse and Hogfish) that have managed to jump THROUGH my eggcrate, only to bake to death on top of it and under my halides. It is at the point I don't even try to keep those two species anymore which is a shame since Fairy Wrasse in particular are some of my favorite fish. In my case, the problem is my Pseudochromis, who gets a kick out of 'running' any fish that is similarly shaped as he. Those who know my tank also know that this fish is virtually uncatchable in it. He'll also probably live a hundred years :rolleyes:. So the lesson I learned concerning 'jumpers' is it's more important what you put IN the tank than what you put ON the tank. Research will definitely save lives.

ReefLady

Staff member
Agreed there, I lost a tomato clown to a pair of damsels who decided to spawn and chased her clear out of the tank. Any fish, known as a "jumper" or not, will try to escape under stressful conditions.

Travis

Alf

I have a lawnMower Blenny we pick up out of the floor once a month. We just throw him back in he seems to live. God knows why. theres no telling how long he's been in the floor when we find him.:D

nigle

Oi!

Wow! I never really thought that this was going to get the responses that it did.

Thanks to all, sorry for our collective losses.

Cheers! [anyway]
nigle
!~!