Jebao wp40 review

GlassMunky

I wouldnt doubt Tunze (threatened with loss of sales) could be trying to intimidate and scare distributors from ordering tho.

exactly.... tunze acan threaten to not sell to any distributor that has these for sale too......... basically a "ME or Them" type situation.

StirCrayzy

what would you say the dimensions of the pumps were? also, do they add much in the way of ambient noise to your tank?

Best way I can describe the WP40, ... it's literally the size of a baseball.
It looks too big in my 65tall, but I'm also a minimalist, so I ordered a WP25 to use instead.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
It just gets me thinking about my 90 gallon... would one be enough or should I have two? The YouTube video I linked shows two in the tank. I can always get a converter to slow the flow down. Probably will get two. Maybe.

I have two WP25 and I have mine on low. They generate a lot of flow.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Although... there is quite obviously a market for it. Ecotech doesnt market to people who need an $80 powerhead. They aim for the people who want the best of everything for their tanks. Not everyone can drop $1,000+ for a pair of powerheads, and I completely understand that.

To me it is not necessarily the cost of the Vortech. Twice I have tried MP10s and twice I sold them. Couple of reasons. First, having a Red Sea Max I cannot mount one on the back of the tank and hide the motor and cord. I do not like the looks of that motor and cord sticking off the side of my tank. I do not like that I cannot adjust the angle at which the Vortech blows. Thirdly, they are too finicky when it comes to placing the motor and the wet side on your tank. If the placement is not perfect they are noisy or they will not hold.

I like the way the WP25 angle is very adjustable, like the Tunze.

ohiojeff

do the wp's have a battery back up? I mean that is what attracts me to the mp's and has me considering the big investment.

jerry26

I have a 1500va power supply on my tank. Keeps my wp-25 running for hours !

exactly. why buy one for a pump when you can buy one for your whole tank including the vortech.

realistically though, youd only want to run the bare minimum so the battery would last as long as possible. check newegg.com . they have good deals, excellent customer service and plenty of reviews to read before you buy.

Wolffman64

I have had a wp25 running for 5 months in my RSM250, and a wp40 in my RSM500 for a bit over a month. I love them! I have to tune the wp40 down, since it completely clears the sand away from the bottom of the other side of the tank otherwise. Great flow/wave, value for money, and also quiet in my opinion. I have bought a couple of extra night sensors (I haven't needed them so far) just to be on the safe side, and they only cost $1 per sensor.

Also, agree with the statement above the backup power...

StirCrayzy

My wp25 on any wave mode creates a bit of a buzz when hitting full speed, but silent at any other speed.
Sensor is too sensitive to ambient lighting, and doesn't function as it should in complete darkness.
I don't use it for that anyway, I just put on a timer.
The wp 40 was too much for my 40g, but I have it on reserve to try in the new 65g.

Ratpack

Interesting read, I will continue to watch. If anyone has recent reviews or videos, please post. I may be interested in these pumps myself.

DaddyTLi

I just installed the Jebao WP40 yesterday. One thing I did notice, it is "louder" than my Vortex. I am using the Else mode and it sounds like a bee buzzing. Since that mode is variable, sometimes is quite. I think I missed the light sensor. I threw away the packaging thinking I have everything and that it did not include a light sensor. Oh well. I think the light sensor will be a great addition since I don't want my livestock to get stressed with all that power 24x7.

Yes it is powerful!

Anyone have an idea on where to place my vortex and jebao? I have a RedSea Max S500.

Tom

Last edited:

jerry26

above 70% i can hear a light buzzing but i have to be right next to the tank.

one of them is a little more.noticable than the other also.