Is grey pool hose safe for marine aquaria?

cracker

Hey Folks, Do You think this grey pool hose would be safe? I want to use it for drains only. It's flexible and weighs a lot less than rigid PVC.
So Bob Fenner stated that pool hose was ok in his experience. I also e/med the manufacturer to see what they had to say. What do You think?

DaveK

I don't recommend it, not because the material is unsafe. From that standpoint your fine. I don't like it because all those little ridges in the inside tend to trap dirt and disturb the water flow, so it makes more noise. The hoses can not be cut to length, so you can have dips in the pipe that trap water.

Flexible PVC pipe is a much better choice. You can still bed it, cut it to length and connect it up with regular PVC cement and fittings.

cracker

Hello Dave, It does have the ridges inside. I didn't consider it trapping dirt. It can be cut to length and it's so much lighter then the rigid or spa flex. Anyway I have other options and just wanted to know if the stuff was chemically safe. I'll let Ya'll know what I hear from the manufacturer . Thanks !

DaveK

It's not unusual for a non-aquarium vendor to not reply. Why take the risk of saying it's ok?

cracker

Agreed ! Now if I wanted 5000 medical grade hoses They would be all over it ! It's Ok I decided not to use the stuff. The general consensus is it's safe to use. Something to put away for future reference. Maybe this info will help somebody . Thanks for the OP's.