I'm really starting to get irratated!

KimPossible

Well, it's been about 4 weeks. It all started when my skimmer stopped performing. I knew that I should have immediately cleaned out the pump and injector, but I didn't....I kept saying "I'll do it tomorrow" this went on for a week (maybe more I'm embarased to say) Well, my levels increased and I got CYNO.....uuuuggggggggg!

The maintenance did the trick. Skimmer is now running wet. I have to empty the cup every day.

I changed my bulbs...probably 4 months ago, I tweaked my flow, started running a Phosphate binder, am feeding way less and am doing weekly water changes.

One problem that I see. I have Crushed Coral and this cyno is really in my substrate. Manually removing it is basically, taking cups of CC out at a time.

But! It's spreading. I'm getting a little freaked out.
Any sugestions?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hummm... Okay... here is my barrage of questions :D ....
  • have you switched salt brands recently?
  • Have you added UNsoaked carbon?
  • Have you started any supplements?
  • Are you soaking all foods prior to feeding?
  • Are you using ro/di water, if so, where do you get it from? Test it!! Do not make the mistake I have and assume it is pure... test it for TDS, phosphates and nitrAtes.
In the interim, vacuum that gravel, increase your water change amount and intervals, turn off the lights for a couple of days, add phosban, make sure you are using pure water for all changes and topoffs.... i think that's all... Keep us posted Kim.

KimPossible

Ok Doni....
  • No change is salt, I've been using IO since the beginnig.

• I run carbon often in my Penguin Bio Filter. I only rinse it for about 3 minutes.
  • I have not added any suppliments to my system other than the weekly 2 drop of Lugol's Iodine.
  • I soak and rinse my food 3 times before feeding.
  • I get my RO/DI from a local water and ice store since the beginning. I have never tested it, I wouldn't even know where to start in testing it. I'll do a google.

What do you think about cyno and large grained substrates? It seems to have really taken a foot hold. I can see where it wants to lift in parts, but when I try to get it, it pulls up and some of it mixes in with the other CC down a layer.

In sand, does it just come up easily in sheets? This is my first experience with it.

TomV

There is some stuff you can get called "Red Slime Remover". Reeflady turned me on to the stuff and it's worked for me in the past. May take a couple treatments if it's a big problem.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
How deep is the CC bed ? When you do your water changes do you syphon the substrate ? I would figure it would be easier to clean the Cyano on that type of substrate than sand.

Gina

RS STAFF
Our Cyano came off in sheets on our sand bed. Not sure how it would be for CC nor do I want to find out!
We had such a bad problem with it that we tore down everything.
We purchased new rock and sand and are in the process right now of setting it back up.

I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to vacuum it out using one of the syphons they sell at the LFS?
I would give what Doni suggested a try and see if in a few weeks it starts to lessen.
Have you checked into the Boyd's Chemi Clean? I've read some post of people who have used that with good results. The only thing is if you don't correct the problem of what is causing the cyano, it will come back. At least that's what I've read.
Good luck with it Kim! I hope you get a hold on it.
Keep us posted.

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Ohhh you need to talk to me about Cyano Kim....I am becoming an expert on getting rid of the stuff! :) Great advice from everyone!

Cheers!

KimPossible

Vaccuming it appeared to be the worst thing for it. I have a pretty large attachment on my hose, because I do really suck up my substrate during normal water changes. It is the only way to keep the cc somewhat clean.
When I did that to suck up the cyno...the cc comes into the attachment and swirls around sucking out anything that is lighter (the gunk). It appears to me that this only got the cyno deeper into my substrate which is 1" and even less in parts because I have been slowly trying taking it out.

I have not looked into chemical remedies, I have read over and over....you gotta take care of the problem not the symptoms.

I'll google "Red Slime Remover"

Hey, the directions on Power Phos made by Kent Marine says to use 150 grams for a 150gal tank. What the heck is 150grams? Like 2 Tablespoons?

KimPossible

If I turn my lights off and keep my front window open, how long can I safely keep them off? I have mainly softies, I do have one torch...and a torch bud that is doing well:)

KimPossible

I've ordered the Red Slime Remover.
I will work with my lights for about a week, if that doesn't do the trick, I'll try the chemical route.....:(

forestal

Kim, my concern with adding red slime remover is it is treating a symptom not the cause, which may be too much nutrients... now you are aggressively filtering, but if you dont have enough flow to keep stuff settling (or just that you have crushed coral) it will settle on the bottom and the cyano bloom happens,

i think your best bet is to remove the crushed coral and maybe put 1/2=1 " of sand down if you dont want bare bottom.... any nutrients wanting to settle should stay on top of the sand...

you may want to look at adding more flow tho... too

i went through a sudden bloom myself 5 months ago, and found even with sand that after a long time, my nutrients were starting to accumulate on the bottom, didnt have enough flow... example:

i still have issues with dead spots and cyano, but the rest is better... i have a seio 1500 gph in one corner, a tunze in the other, and two return pumps...
total tank volume turnover is 5x in my 120g , and i still have dead spots i need to find out how to address

good luck :)

KimPossible

Ok, thanks Dan.
I'll pick up another power head. I can defanately see a benifit in adding another to my tank.

I'll keep everyone updated.

BTW-I would take the CC out.....however, I just ordered a stand for a 115 gal and purchased a way cool skimmer....I'll post soon.
anyway, I would take out the CC but it would seem to be a lot of work....with more in store just transfering everything over.

I'm going to put a sand bed about 1- 1 1/2" thick in the new.

forestal

Kim... if you are upgrading, i would wait too... the crushed coral bed long term is a problem, short term, the cyano is eating upthe nutrients...hope it works.

plan out some good current for the next one... i wish i had a better return manifold flow to spread out even more...i keep putting it off, but i have to eliminate the dead spots

KimPossible

Im trying to figure out where I want my returns for the closed loop system. Yeah, flow....Ive been thinking about that alot lately.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I think Live Rock placement has alot to do with it. The general tendency is to add 1.5 to 2 lbs. per gallon and what you eventually end up with is a large rock wall which will dramatically cut down on flow especially between and behind the rocks leading to the accumulation of detritus. I agree with forestal just try to syphon out what you can and wait till the move, the addition of chemicals should be done when there's no alternative IMO.

forestal

i know i have taken out a lot of my rock to open up space for coral grow out and to improve the dead spots, its still a pain...everytime i try to fix something i break or knock over a coral