ideas for another tank, 30 gallon high

brikeibur

Everyone, I have a 30 gallon tank sitting in a closet in my house. I am hoping to get some interesting ideas of how to set it up. I definitely want this to be low cost and easily maintained, maybe I will just throw some fresh water fish in it, or make it a damsel tank. What do you guys think?

extexan

How about a jawfish tank? They are very entertaining, and it's better (IMO) that they are by themselves. It's very cool to watch them sneak over to the other's burrow, steal a piece of coral, and place it in front of their own. They will hover over their own burrows constantly...but that's just me.

i actually think the Jaw fish have crazy personalities- and given that ideal That probly what I would do with a 30gH....

So Im gonna 2nd that if you send me video's of the Jaws stealing form each other...LOL

reefman420

i agree with the jaw fish idea their cool.havent got one for my tank yet though.or maybey a damsel tank would be ok

brikeibur

I like the jawfish Idea, What are we talking about as far as LR and sand? What do these guys need to thrive? Can I have 3 to 4 of them?

JawFish

The two most commonly kept jawfish are O. rosenblatti and O. aurifrons

They prefer to hover up to 5' above their den, always having a 360° view of their surroundings. Without an extensive view in all directions, they will hang lower than usual or may only extend their head outside their den. This reclusive behavior also occurs when actively swimming fish are present.

Their dens range from 4 - 9" deep, extend nearly 9" wide, are 2.5" tall, and are comprised of mostly broken coral branches, pieces of coral limestone, bivalve and snail shells, and assorted pieces of hard material.

Food:

They feed entirely from the water column with roughly 85% of their diet being zooplankton.

Since the jawfish consumes a great deal of zooplankton, feeding is easy. Enriched brine, mysis, plankton, and Formula I should be readily accepted. If newcomers are finicky eaters, it may take live brine or live blackworms to entice a feeding response.
In passive tanks the jawfish will become an aggressive eater, actively roaming around the tank in search of its next tasty morsel. However, in a tank with active fish, especially those that are hyperactive at feeding time, spot feeding with a turkey baster is most likely going to be required

Tankmates:
Jawfish should be the first fish added to the home aquarium,It is harder to get them acclimated once other fish are established

So what fish make good tank mates for jawfish? Cardinalfish, anthias, assessors, blennies, pipefish, and dragonettes will do well. Most gobies and some wrasses will also do well. The general criteria would be a passive, slow moving fish that is nearly equal in size or smaller.

Hope this helps

whats the foot print of your 30H....you may be able to do 3 myabe 4 Topps- but the kinda clam a good size den.

i was once today a 12" by 12" per 1 Jaw: I never had one so i cant actually say