ID please

Snappy

Anybody out there know what type of acro this is?
8cr_unknown_acro.jpg

SueT

Hi Greg, that is definitely an acropora tenuis. I love these acros and have quite a few color morphs. This is what they look like. And where do you find all these sweet corals. This is as nice as any I've seen lately.

sabodish

its tenius for sure..go to google, type in tenius and hit "image" you will see almost the exact same pic pop up...i have had many in the past i can say with about 99% accuracy, its a tenius.

mps9506

I'd agree with A. tenius
Although keep in mind acro structure does change from one tank condition to next tank condition. As it grows out it may end up looking more like a tort :)

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
YOU CAN NOT ID AN ACRO CORAL TO SPECIES LEVEL FROM A PIC........If Jen Veron can't how can we :D

SueT

I surely do not think myself better in id'ing acropora than Mr Veron, but in seeing certain characteristics some are easier to id into a group of acropora. I "believe" this to be a tenuis just from the many I have kept and/or seen in the time I have been keeping sps corals. Again I do not think myself better, somewhat the opposite but some I think I can get close.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Veron will tell you flat out that acros's kept in reef tanks for long periods of time can not be ID to species levels even by him, with the coral in hand and a microscope. Tanks alter their growth structure to much from wild oceanic species. Corals are NOT ID buy the color or "flesh-like" appearance but by their skeletal septal arrangement. And there are other species of coral that look like that pic. Could it be a tenuis, yes but that does not mean it is.

To often in this hobby, me included, we ID many types of marine life to species level and often do not realize that said species ID is, for example, only found in the Med Sea but someone has +ID it, from a pic, as some species from the Indo of Australia.

Snappy

Thanks for the kind words, I thought it might be a tenius as well but always appreciate 2nd opinions.
I am fully aware that reticulate evolution often makes id's hard and somewhat ambiguous, so much of the time all we can do is give our best guess and that's good enough for me. (I think even J.E.N.Veron wouldn't argue with that)
Thanks for the help and the encouraging remarks.:snshne: