I think my snail is sneezing (Video)

corrado007

I've been seeing some puffs of "smoke" randomly appearing IN my display tank lately. Today I finally figured out what it is and caught it on video. I'm not sure, but I think this guy is called a cap snail and he came in on some live rock. If you watch closely, it looks like the snail sneezes or spews out something. By the time I grabbed the camera he was letting out smaller puffs of what ever it is but I still caught it. Sorry for the poor video quality (didn't have time to adjust settings).

corrado007

I fail to see what you are looking at.

When the count-down timer on the video player reads about 7 seconds, a small puff of something appears and quickly dissipates. The snail is just to the right of center screen and exudes the stuff to its left between itself and the cleaner shrimp (just to the cleaner shrimp’s right).

corrado007

stomlla spawning.... i get it all the time
Oh, that's cool, thanks!

reefcorner.com said:
They will reproduce in the reef tank, but don't seem to reach nuisance population levels. Breeding has been observed during the daytime with all individuals climbing up to high points on the live rock and simultaneously releasing their eggs and sperm into the water. This can cause the tank water to look milky for a short time, but is nothing to worry about. The filter feeders get to eat well when this occurs.
I appreciate all the help everyone, knowing what creature I have in the tank really helped.

naperenterprise

The turbo snails in my previous tank did that a lot, It is pretty cool isn't it... I never got any baby turbo's out of it though...

corrado007

I dont see a snail either, and i watched it like 10 time!!

Alright, here’s my best attempt to explain where to look. I wish I knew how to take one frame out of the video to post as a pic where I could circle the snail or draw an arrow. It just looks like a white kind of oval spot on the left edge of the right cave that’s just above the galaxia coral and just below the brightly reflecting rock. It’s almost center screen and the tip of the antenna of the cleaner shrimp that is extending farthest to the right from 9 seconds down to 7 seconds on the video player timer happens to directly pin-point the snail. It’s really not all that amazing and I don’t mean to make anyone go blind trying to spot a snail, I was just curious what it was.
Thanks for the enthusiasm. :)

kathywithbirds

I saw it. Right behind the cleaner shrimp toward the back of the tank there. Yeah, I think it's a stomatella too. Mine must be oversexed, I get that all the time. I don't even get that excited anymore.

corrado007

I saw it. Right behind the cleaner shrimp toward the back of the tank there. Yeah, I think it's a stomatella too. Mine must be oversexed, I get that all the time. I don't even get that excited anymore.

Are yours multiplying or is all this snail love fruitless?

kathywithbirds

I don't know. The one I definitely have is big, but I don't know if there's a daddy snail for fertilization... they do that, right??? Mostly the fish eat the eggs. Unless there's teeny ones I don't know about :ponder2:

Varga

haha, i see it now. i saw this in my tank earlier this week! i was gonna post something asking about snails smoking.

Varga

how old are snails? noone cares about snails, im thinking some look like they are 20 years old

jnohs

looks cool definatly reproducing.I have tunics that do that a lot and my cleaner is allways gobbling them up.

jnohs

I have a ton of baby snails in my tank. and they are about 8 months old and still have a lot of growing before the shell resembles the snails that we know. I figure about 2 years befor they look like a compleat decent sized snail. In the wild it would probably go a lot faster.