Hydnophora ID Confirmation

goldenmean

I stopped by one of my LFS this afternoon and this blue beauty followed me home.
The owner of the LFS called it a Hydro...........something or another but he said he may be wrong.
I have spent some time with Julian Sprung`s Corals Reference Guide and some web research and I think I have a plating Hydnophora. Melevsreef.com has the best photo that I could find that looks like this coral but I canot be sure as there is not a closeup shot of the polyps.

So my RS experts is this a plating Hydnophora?
Or is it not??

Attachments

• FTS.R.6.10.jpg
    FTS.R.6.10.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 47
  • ID.jpg
    ID.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 134
  • ID.2.jpg
    ID.2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 132

Frankie

RS STAFF
I never saw one like that before. What an awesome coral!
I'll see what I can do for more info :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looks like a blue "Hydnophora_microconos"
Colonies are massive and rounded, with small uniform monticules 2-3 millimetres diameter. Polyps are not extended during the day. Colour: Dull cream, brown or green. Similar species: Hydnophora exesa. Habitat: All reef environments but primarily in lagoons and protected slopes in the Pacific and wave washed reef flats in the Red Sea. Abundance: Uncommon.
Message - Reef Frontiers Coral ID Reference

goldenmean

Wow thanks Frankie.
That was fast!
I think that is it. The monticules look like the one in that photo from RF.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yeah, Mike O'brian put a lot of work into that coral ID section. Great resource.

goldenmean

I had forgotten about RF.
I had signed up there but not visited in nearly 2 years.
Time to bookmark that coral id reference

Frankie

RS STAFF
It was my first reefing forum when I was searching info for the first time online for reefs. (I didn't even have a computer back then! I was at the NYC library.)
Then I built one and met Mojo (Mike O'brian) Doni and Witty who invited me here from a chat room when they were just starting up RS.

Frankie

RS STAFF
That a very cool bit of pre RS history.

so you built your first computer?

:coffee2: Yeah, I was poorer then dirt back then. My wife's friends husbands from Poland are PC programers and hated coming over because we had no Computer. So they built one for my house to play on when they came but the computer sucked so bad I had to re-build it. One year later I was hosting a star trek interactive server and my basment converted into a computer grave yard LOL! :smack: