Hurricane FRANCES

Melev

I'm still paying for my new 280g (and will be for a while), but one person that I still owe money (the seller) told me to buy a generator before paying him the last chunk. He felt that was much more important - to the livestock - than to his wallet.

I thought that was very noble of him, btw.

Originally posted by Travis
To end this on a positive note, let's just be glad Luis and Family, Bryan and family, and Rookie and family are all OK. In the end, that's what counts.

Well said.

I'm still saddened to hear of the losses. :(

Bocaswim

Living in Frances' wake.

Well power has just returned to my neighborhood as of 10pm last night. I am glad to say all tank inhabitants except a rose anemone made it. Five days without power is a long time believe me. There was alot of damage to my neighborhood, fortunately minor damage to the house and a few downed trees that can be re-planted.

As far as responsible reefing, I would have to agreee with Dgasmd. I have a 220 reef that is mostly frags since I recently moved, but I have twelve fish and some have been with me for over five years. These animals are my responsibility and I was not going to let them down.

As I prepared for the possiblities with this tremendous storm I was able to purchase four battery air pumps and plenty of Batteries. I searched everywhere for a generator but was unable to acquire one before the storm. Instead I bought a UPS backup and hoped for the best. The air pumps helped for the first two days without power, sadly the UPS did not work at all (probably user error) but that meant I had to figure out something else. When Home Depot re-opened I waited in line 3 hours to purchase one of 900 generators that had been shipped down to WPB area. After having friends from a nearby southern unaffected county bring me gas it was smooth sailing for the last three days as I was able to run the entire tank, lights, chiller and both refrigerators and even a small fan to make sleeping bearable.

I am so relieved to have one for the next emergency. If you ask me I am much happier to post pics of my brand new 5500watt workhorse generator than a newly purchased SPS colony anyday. Just have to charge the battery in the camera :)

Hi, i'm in boca raton i had no power for six days i only had three air stones in the tank (75) i'm lucky i didn't loss anything but it smelled like hell, i just went out and bought a inverter that coverts dc to ac i got it at pep boys, you can run it from your car to your tank and it works, sorry for all the losses.

VAPOR

Piero You are the same person who picked at Playa and I at RC. You have 4 posts here in 4 months and you pick now in playas darkest hour to make a comment. You have shown your true self here my friend. Hwo do you sleep at night.

Compassion is all I feel for you.

addict

C'mon guys... let's not kick people when they're down...

It's always easy to use 20/20 hindsight to see what you should've done... I'm sure there are plenty of people in the Florida area that lost their tanks to the hurricane that also were not as prepared as they should've been... I really hope you don't lambast them as well...

Any updates Luis?

Jim_D

Hello Luis, its Jim here from RTAW in Australia, I just had another look through your tank pics in our SPS column, my heart is bleeding for you mate, chin up and you'll bounce back better than ever, we are all really feeling for you here downunder.

Cheers Mate,

Jim

VAPOR

I am at RC invincible569 and disgusted, under a diff name of course.

Nice jimd very nice.

invincible569 do you have copies of the Pm's sent to luis at RC?

I think they would open some eyes

ReefLady

Staff member
Vapor, welcome from a fellow Nole!

Please, guys, let's keep it on topic. You're welcome to air out your dirty laundry over PMs.

Travis

64Ivy

My condolences to you, Luis, and to everyone else who suffered losses during these terrible storms.

VAPOR

edited by Travis

Last warning. Stay on-topic. Please check your PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

EdgeKrusher

edited. Thank you for your concern, but our moderators are more than capable of handling something like this. (Travis)

Luis,
I feel for ya man! But I'm more happy that you and your family are ok. Your tank was beautiful and one of my favorites. I truly hope you'll start it up again, but take your time, and don't listen to these fools who seem to all of a sudden swarmed our charming ,not so little community, like a flock of vultures to take a stab at you.

Peace

EK

Last edited by a moderator:

Heinz

we all have learned more or less, something the hard way,

really sorry for you lose, i followed your tank thread and i loved your tank

Melev

So what is the latest status in Florida? I've been at MACNA for the past 4 days and need some updates.