How GHETTO are you?

BEELZEBOB

first off, i live in a trailer...:lol:

but what im really talkin about is your tanks.

with all the all in ones, aqua-controllers, probes, ATO's, reactors, tunzes blah blah, i can get jealous.

BUT i am a ghetto reefer and proud of it.

i top off with a one gallon jug of ro/di that i buy at King Soopers.

i put a piece of air line tubing in it, suck, tie a knot and watch it go.

i do 1-2 2gal WC's a week.

i dose calk, alk, and mag via 1 gal topoffs, as test results dictate.

i mix kent products accordingly into each jug. 1 gal of each goes in about once every other week.

i test with the nasty stinky lil color changers.

my stand is 12 cinder blocks

and i have no sump

wait, but i do own a refractometer.....

QUESTION IS: how ghetto are you?

aseptFTS914.jpg

chrome91

Re: How "GHETTO" are you?

only ghetto thing for me is I get all of my RO water in jugs, i dont want to bother with a RO water machine. I had to fill my now 3 week old 125g with 2 3g water jugs and 1 5g jug, and constantly run to a store to get more. took about 9 trips total to leave enough room for the live rock. Funny thing was the same security guard worked at the store all 3 days i went for water and every time i went there he gave the "WTF is he doing with all the water" look

26-09-08_1500.jpg

vdituri

Bob, you're not ghetto.
You are "inspired" and "creative".

It's not the how we reef, it's what the end results are.
Your tank speaks for itself.

My ghetto fabulousness is my automatic topoff reservoir is a 5 gallon orange Homer's bucket from Home depot sitting on top of my chiller.
And I have a HOB overflow versus one of them fancy pre-drilled tanks. lol

nikkipigtails

Do I really need to post a picture of my stand and interior tank plumbing to show my ghetto fabulousness?

My interior tank plumbing is all pvc. My stand and canopy is pieced together luan and every piece is too short.

Lee

Well, here's my entry:

When planning my stand/sump, I forgot to measure the height required to remove the collection cup from my skimmer, and I ended up being short 1/2". So I had to take a circular saw and cut off the top half inch off my skimmer. Its a rectangular Remora Pro, so it actually worked out pretty well, but I suppose thats somewhat ghetto...

Gumby

Ghetto,
I have an overflow from my Amiracle filter still running in my tank (amiracle filter is gone, but overflow and downspout are kept). I have a home-made sump from plexiglass that was thrown away by the company i work for (i pulled it out of the trash bin and took it to my LFS to make me a sump). I use 3/4 plumbers hose to tie my pump to my SQWD and then to the outlets into the tank. The hoses are held onto the SQWD by a small auto parts hose clamps.

I use 1g jugs of water to top off that i just dump into my sump (no dripping, just daily dumping).

oh yeah, i have plastic wire ties everywhere i feel it is needed.

naperenterprise

You might be a red neck...or a reef neck rather... if....

My 400+ tank is pretty ghetto! My home made MH light is hanging from the ceiling by chains...

(The tank is in my basement work shop) lol

BEELZEBOB

nice.

we need like a ghetto reefer club.

we could have a meeting and eat poorboys and beer.

:lol: still think i got ch'all in the ghetto sense.

im like a white trash hero :D

i use an upside down 1 litere bottle for an ATO...my skimmer is made from a "smart water" bottle...my tank is a "mastercube"...i dont dose regularly...i do a WC when ever the tank looks like it needs it...my heater is worth about $.50 but it works and hasn't gone hay-wire yet... i have filter floss but im too lazy to drive to petco to get more so i just wash it when it get dirty...the floss right now has been washed +3 times...thats just some ghetto shiz about my tank

rmlevasseur

I recently created a DIY cover so my bluespot doesn't jump out. I bought velcro stripping at Mendards and figerglass screen. I had the local tailor sew the stripping to the screen, cutting the screen to the entire length of the solaris, which rests on the tank with the legs. I then attached the opposite sitcky velcro sides to the edge of the Solaris and the edge of the euro bracing, and did this on front and back sides of the tank.

In effect I get a nice tent that doesnt block any light, allows perfect air exchange, and bounces any fish back in that tries to jump. To picture it better, visualize a capital "A" where the line in the middle is the waterline.

Jova

My tank is a 75g that I got from my girlfriend's aunt. It had been sitting in a barn for 5 years. There are numerous scratches all over the glass. I can't get my in-sump skimmer to work right, so I've got a CPR backpack hanging off the side of the tank until I get the big skimmer working. I have 3 powerheads in the tank that are held on to the glass by some plastic-coated magnets that I bought online, because I'm too cheap to buy the nice tunze powerheads that have the magnet system already built in. My current lighting fixture is built for a much shorter tank, so I have to 2x4's that are sawed off sitting on top of the tank to support the lighting fixture, since it's mounting brackets aren't nearly long enough to reach the edge of the tank. I have 2 cheap low-wattage heaters in the tank, because I didn't want to drop 60 bucks on a nice submersible one. The RO/DI unit I have in my basement drains the water into a 45g storage container that I bought at Wal-Mart for 16 bucks that looks like it's pregnant and ready to bust whenever it's more than half-full, and not to mention that our cats love to lay on the lid of this thing, and I have to skim cat hair out of the water from time to time. I have power cables hanging all over the place. My tank stand and canopy look like they were put together in a middle school shop class. All of my tank supplies/water change gear is sitting right beside my tank, right in the middle of my living room. I do water changes not on any schedule whatsover, but only when I feel that it's time, and I dose chemicals from time to time when I get the itch to do so. I rarely check parameters and never quarantine anything that I buy. And here's the thing: Everything in my tank is growing like crazy and THRIVING! So... is THAT ghetto enough for ya? :)

burning2nd

Im getto...

my current setup is 30g/ 10g sump sunpod 2x150 hung
remora
2 tunzes
mag 7 return,
reefkeeper 2 controller controlling heaters and fans,

now right now your thinking thats not very ghetto.

let me explain what ghetto really is.
besides the refactometers i have the test kits (stockd)

I havent tested in over a year....... I use the force with my tank... the ghetto force...

lol

Cavinca

Thank you, Thank you. :whstlr:

After scrubbing glue off of the back(now front) of my tank when i moved, i decided id not reuse the backdrop, and would in fact save money for a proper replacement...