how do you put your rocks.

Basile

I can't decide if i'm putting my rocks directly on the glass and then cover with sand or if i put them on top of the sand, or in between . Any thoughts ; thanks for your time

spiraling

I put mine on the glass, make sure they are stable, and then add the sand. If you put them on the sand then burrowing animals (gobys, pistols, nessarius, etc) can cause a rock-slide as they work their way under the rocks.

saintsreturn

I used to put them in the sand bed to ensure they position the way I wanted. And then I started exploring new fish options and all that changed. They are not on the glass because my gobies and nessarius snails kept moving the sand causing them to shift and fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Squatch XXL

I personally put eggcrate down on the bottom of the tank, than start with my larger "base" rocks.....I will literally only set rocks wherever they "fit".....You know when they fit because they don't wiggle or wobble. Use at least 3 points of solid contact for every rock. I don't attempt fancy caves and ledges unless the rock gods give me the optimal setup with 0% chance of failure.....

My current "collection" of rocks is not very impressive either, which is why I literally have a pile of rocks....In a few years when I upgrade for the last time, I will be out looking for very specific shapes and sizes to accent the stuff I have.

Always keep a good base in solid contact with the bottom of your tank or eggcrate. As others have commented, certain livestock will move sand. Sand can shift over time, and even does dissolve.

Squatch XXL

Another method which I have seen is where people can construct a "support" out of pvc to keep the rocks off the bottom directly. It is not as common, and I am not exactly sure of the benefit/perceived benefit. It does allow things to dig under rocks without undermining and compromising the integrity of your structure.