Horseshoe crab..

Stacef

:poke: Dead??

I got him about 3 weeks ago, literally have not seen a sign of him since. One night about 2 weeks ago, I thought I saw tracks in the sand from him, but that could've been anything! Soo...what do I do? Try and find him to give him a good meal. I know stirring up the sand is a bad thing, should I just leave him? What if he dies??? I will never know it, he could be dead already. I am sure others have experienced this also. Help would be wonderful. Thanks!!

Witfull

HSC are a temperate water species. in waters over 72* they do not fair well. i would stir the sand to find him.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've not had one myself but out LFS carries them very often. A fellow reefer bought one for his daughter's tank and he said," I hadn't seen it in over a month.. assumed it was gone... one morning I just happened to look over and saw it digging into the sand-bed." then he called about a week later to say it was official DOA as he found the carcass on the sand. I'd say don't sweat it and let it be.

Witfull

ever see the carcasses wash up on the shore at the beginning of summer? heat does them in.

Stacef

It is ok to sift the sand to find him though? :dunno: The way I understand it is to leave your sand be, but I would rather find him and see how he's doing, rather tha leaving him be in case something is wrong...

Stacef

Just a WONDERFUL note, he's doing GREAT! I did some re scaping the other day, he came out to see what the new look is! Looks like he's getting bigger.

KimPossible

Stace,
That is actually a very good article; offering a chance for aquarists who have this animal the opportunity to provide an adequate environment and feeding regimen. Wet Web Media is one of my preferred learning tools.

Glad to hear your critter is doing well and growing :)

Stacef

Thank you Boomer and Kim, I do feel bad for having him...but now what? I take him to the LFS, and there's a chance of someone whose tank isn't ready having him, and him not having a chance to survive. With me he IS surviving. I will admit, he is the only guy I did NOT research in the tank and I kick myself for it everyday. Thanks for sharing the article, full of helpful facts.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
What is the fascination with this animal anyway? There are other invertebrates that are nicer to look at and far more interesting. I guess I feel that way because I was raised in Florida and we would frequently see them washed up on the beach.

i agree that there are just some species of inverts and fish as well as corals that should be left in the ocean but really that's kind of hypocritical...if all of us really really really really cared about this topic...none of us would be in this saltwater hobby. i am sure every living creature would rather be in their natural setting than in a tank in someones living room. i for one like my saltwater reef tank and will continue on with my hobby...thats my 2 cents.

steve

BoomerD

i agree that there are just some species of inverts and fish as well as corals that should be left in the ocean but really that's kind of hypocritical...if all of us really really really really cared about this topic...none of us would be in this saltwater hobby. i am sure every living creature would rather be in their natural setting than in a tank in someones living room. i for one like my saltwater reef tank and will continue on with my hobby...thats my 2 cents.

steve

To a point you're right I suppose, but what it comes down to is the ethics of collecting animals that have a poor survivability in home aquariums. Remember, these are not tank-bred animals, there's not some factory in China churning out cheap saltwater animals for our tanks, they are wild-caught, and as such, we have a responsibility to only collect the ones that have a proven record of surviving in captivity.
I've read before that less than 1 out of 10 animals that's collected in the wild actually survives 1 year in captivity. Those are pretty dismal numbers and show a poor stewardship on our part...

thats true, i guess we are both right in a way. i will agree that many animals should never even be considered in our reef tanks.

i did have a horseshoe crab in the very beginning of my tank...not the best idea and was done with poor judgement, the tank was just no set up properly. i do miss it though...they are very fun to watch when they are out bumping into stuff.

steve

ps..i rarely ever see them anymore in stores.

SubRosa

Horseshoes are not a strictly coldwater animal.I can get them from Indo-Pacific transshippers and I assure you they do not import them from New Jersey.But they hide and get way too big for all but the largest home aquaria so I don't bother with them.If you have a tank with a footprint of 20 square feet or so I'll be glad to get you one though.

John