HOB Overflow opinions wanted!

EdgeKrusher

Ok, as some of you may know, I'm in the market for a HOB overflow for my nano. I was looking at getting the CPR CS50, with the Aqualifter pump. That's just one idea. Now I know some of you use the CPR overflows without problems. There's also those who swear buy the U-Tube overflows. I don't want anyone to make this decision for me, but I would like your opinions on the HOB overflow you use, have used, or are planning on using. What are the pros, and cons of that particular overflow, and why you ended up choosing the one you have.

Be honest please. I just don't want to make a purchase only to have it poop out on me, and that's why I'm leaning toward the CPR Model. This thread may also help others make an informed decision when they decided to go this route, if they decide too.

Thanks

EK

ScottT1980

I bought mine on ebay...

I just did an "aquarium overflow search" and had about 20 hits, all probably cheaper than what you will find in a retail store. Mine is generic but has only lost siphon once, and that was because I hadn't changed the prefilter in ages. I have used it for about 1 1/2 years and can't complain...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Cougra

I'm currently using a DIY U-tube type overflow. I really like how simple it is to use. I haven't had it stop working for me, I like the fact that it doesn't take any extra electricity to operate, I haven't had it lose suction in the past three years I've been using it. The way it's designed it's easy to start the suction again as well. The only thing I will change on the design is that I will make it for a larger flow. I currently have on 3/4" diameter U tube next will be dual 1" tubes.

mattie

RS Sponsor
i have used the cpr50 model for the past 6 months I do not have an aqualifter instead i have an airline and a checkvalve and flow control valve and have the airtrap constantly dripping into the sump, works fine and with the checkvalve if the power goes out it won't lose siphon... but i have to check it every few days to be sure the power didn't go out becouse it will put air bubbles in the airtrap siphon but it wont lose siphon.....so you wont have a big mess.. the aqua lifter is probably a good thing... but i have used the model from amiricle in the past for 3-4 years and with it i never knew the term lose's siphon